What vehicles had chry 8.25s! please help!!

Ken

K so I put a chrysler 8.25 on the cherokee and my buddy had this grand idea to swap the nine inch drums for the ten inch option. originally I thought ok this may add some extra braking power, but I should've done a disc setup.

After getting the hardware kit, backing plates, drums, shoes etc, I thought I would be done but no I'm not. My e-brake doesn't work. I cracked open the drums to solve this problem and found that I'm missing both brake drum bars in my drums. These are the flat piece of metal that separates the pads and e-brake levers in the drums, they have a spring on one side. I've also heard them called parking brake strut and spring, and drum brake bars.

My problem now is that I can't reference the parts at autozone, checker, napa, they all tell me to go to a dealer. I got the 10 inch drums and hardware kits, and pads at autozone so why don't they have the bar. The only one they can order doesn't say if it's for the 9 inch or 10 inch drums. I went to a dealer even though I hate them and they told me it would be 84 bucks plus tax for the bars and springs. !@!#%!!!!! that shiz. It should be 30 bucks!!!

I've come to the conclusion that other vehicles had 8.25s right. Did the dakota run one in the rear does anyone know!!!! Maybe some vans or other vehicles besides jeep ran them? I bet autozone has the bars for those and if they ran the same axle with the same drum size then ideally the bars in them should work. I can't see the brakes being much different as long as there drums. Please help me out in this so that I can go to moab :sick:

jlowry

8.25 applications

They put em in:
Dakotas from '87-00...'97 and later are 29 spline..'97 and earlier and 27 spline
Durangos from '98-00 all of which are 29 spline
Dodge 1/2 tons from '71-93 all 27 spline
and of course cherokees from '91-00
All Chrysler Passenger cars from '72-89 including;
The Cordoba from '75-83
The Imperial from '81-83
and finally The Lebaron from '77-81, all the cars are 27 spline
The Dodges would be the best bet I would assume. Good luck, Hope this helps out

Last edited:

tv_larsen

jlowry said:
Dodge 1/2 tons from '71-93 all 27 spline
All Chrysler Passenger cars from '72-89

In the trucks it was actually know as the 8 3/8" rear axle, but is basically the same.

Most 1/2 tons came with the 9 1/4", but the 8 3/8" was common in the light duty 1/2 tons. Neither was used until '74, the 8 3/4" was used before that.

Some of the large C-bodys, such as the New Yorker, came with a 9 1/4" rear axle, not the 8 1/4".