What Wheel spacers for my 93xj.

93yj

Right now my xj is running the 16” Moab Rubicon wrangler rims on 31” tires with no rubbing. I am thinking of moving up to 33” tires. what width of wheel spacers would I need to make sure I am not going to rub in the front frame when I steer? Also I will be installing an 8.8 explorer axle this summer. I would like to get spacers for the rear so the width will be the same as the front. M.O.R.E. off-road said to use the 7/8” spacers and that would get me back out to almost the width of the 8.25. However if I am adding spacers to the front to get the 33inch tire's to not rub, what width of spacers would I need to make up the difference with the 8.8 axle so I can get the same stance?

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Your front axle is roughly 2" wider than the rear on your rig stock.
An Explorer rear 8.8 is roughly 1.75-2" narrower than the 8.25" by my measurements.

It all depends what width 33's you get. Then I can give you an idea.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
285/75/16 That's like an 32.8/11.2/16 tire so:
2" spacers up front
1.5" rear.

You'll get LCA rub a little without a spacer but not miserable, those Moabs have lots of backspacing.

In my opinion you'll need to do some inner fender mods up front (pinch seam cut and fold and trim the fender) and fiddle with the rear (cut or perfect spacer size to tuck).
AND
bumpstop accordingly.

Regardless of lift size IF you want it to work right.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
You're welcome to try on my 33's whenever you like. They're on 15"wagon wheels with 3.75" backspacing (I think) and I'm not sure what backspacing the moab's have. I wouldn't run spacers if you can avoid it. I know all the right places to trim

93yj

You're welcome to try on my 33's whenever you like. They're on 15"wagon wheels with 3.75" backspacing (I think) and I'm not sure what backspacing the moab's have. I wouldn't run spacers if you can avoid it. I know all the right places to trim

LOL!!!!!! I didn’t want to bother you Nate with making you swap your tires and rims over to mine......... But since you are offering what’s your schedule look like?:D
On the trimming I was going to hit you up as soon as the weather gets a little warmer. I am going to trim and then put some TJ rear flares all the way around.

93yj

285/75/16 That's like an 32.8/11.2/16 tire so:
2" spacers up front
1.5" rear.

You'll get LCA rub a little without a spacer but not miserable, those Moabs have lots of backspacing.

In my opinion you'll need to do some inner fender mods up front (pinch seam cut and fold and trim the fender) and fiddle with the rear (cut or perfect spacer size to tuck).
AND
bumpstop accordingly.

Regardless of lift size IF you want it to work right.
I am trying to stay to what XJ nates format for his XJ. 3” lift with some trimming etc. Thank you for the Impute! I am just bummed that BFG KM2 that you had for sale didn’t work out.:( Those are the tires I am looking at adding in the next month and would have been great as my spare

XJEEPER

I'm running 285/75/16's on TJ Moab wheels which are 16 x 8's, which have 5.25" back spacing. I'm running 1.25" billet adapters, (which are often referred to as spacers) which net me a total of 4" BS. My rig has 6" of suspension lift. I ran this same tire/wheel/adapter/lift combo on my 89XJ, which is comparable to you your 93 body style.
I'm now running flat flares, but here's a visual of how it looks flexed up with stock flares and flatties. The tires rubbed on the inner fenders at full flex with the stock flares, but not with the flat flares. I agree with digger........TJ flares on an XJ look like poo.

Attachments

• IMG_5402-resize.jpg
    IMG_5402-resize.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5486-resize.jpg
    IMG_5486-resize.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8739-resize.jpg
    IMG_8739-resize.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It would probably be the same price (and better IMO) to just get some steelies with better backspacing. Plus you could sell the moab's. Just saying

93yj

I'm running 285/75/16's on TJ Moab wheels which are 16 x 8's, which have 5.25" back spacing. I'm running 1.25" billet adapters, (which are often referred to as spacers) which net me a total of 4" BS. My rig has 6" of suspension lift. I ran this same tire/wheel/adapter/lift combo on my 89XJ, which is comparable to you your 93 body style.
I'm now running flat flares, but here's a visual of how it looks flexed up with stock flares and flatties. The tires rubbed on the inner fenders at full flex with the stock flares, but not with the flat flares. I agree with digger........TJ flares on an XJ look like poo.
I like the way Veyecteaoare has used the “rear” TJ flares all the way around his. I agree I don’t like the fornt TJ flares with the side lights look. But TJ rears look pretty clean to me. Thanks for you impute guys! SAM_3216.jpgSAM_3215.jpg