What would you buy?

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
Here's my situation. Taking a new job that will move my commuting distance from about 6 miles one way to 30 miles one way. Sold my 94 F250 that was getting 11 mpg in anticipation of the upcoming commute.

Price limit is 6500.00

I want something that will be decently comfortable to drive and get better gas mileage, 15 or more on the highway. And be able to still take out on the weekends.

I've been looking at XJ's and ZJ's, WJ's kinda scare me ( heard the tranny behind the 4.0 is done at 150k usually and the 4.7's are super sensitive to servicing)

I'm constantly drawn to Rovers, but I've owned so many I'd like to try something new.

What would you buy?

rustyjeep21

An XJ set up right could do better than 15 mpg and still be a capable wheeler. Mine with a manual transmission 4.56s and 33 10.50s would get near 20 mpg running between 70-75 mph. You should be able to get a pretty nice one within your budget. Just my 2 cents.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Honestly with 30 miles one way I would look for a commuter car. I'm 35 miles one way and it adds up fast. I drive a Beetle TDI and get about 45mpg, fill it up every 650 miles, or every other week. When I was driving my Tacoma I was filling up every week (half the MPGs and less range). I keep my Tacoma around as a secondary vehicle in case I need it and for exploring. It's saved me a lot of headache, if the TDI has an issue I park it until I figure it out and drive the truck. I would seriously look at 2 vehicles with your distance.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I agree with Spork. I commute over twenty miles each way to my work and I don't know how/why I went all those years without a TDI. Fuel adds up really fast :ugh:

If I had to pick a daily driver/weekend 4wd I'd be looking for another 01-04 Toyota Tacoma with the 3RZ 4cylinder engine and manual transmission. The one I had was always in the mid to high twenties for fuel mileage and did excellent off road.

lenny

I have thought about just getting a commuter vehicle. But when I started adding up all the costs involved with a second vehicle it didn't seem to save me much money. Although the convenience of having a back up vehicle would be super nice.

The Tacomas with the 4 cylinder engine seem like a good compromise, but finding one without a quarter million miles seems a bit tough

sixstringsteve

If you need to go off-road, I vote for a Honda CR-V or Rav 4 or Pilot or Highlander. Tacomas or 4runners with the 4cyl are cool, but they're still not going to get much better than 20 mpg. Plus they're impossible to find.

Last edited:

Troop92

I'll chime in on the two vehicle angle - it's awesome. You're going to have a hard time finding a vehicle that does everything well without compromising. I do 60 miles daily (round trip) and I wouldn't give up a commuter for anything. Far more comfortable, easy on gas in all conditions (even rush hour), and you put miles on that instead of your toy. That many miles daily on a single vehicle that bridges the commuter/weekend warrior role takes its toll.

I'll never go back, honestly. We'll always be a three vehicle family (my commuter, our toy, wife's car).

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I worked as a sales rep for a while. I spent a lot of time driving. Buy a great running, comfortable, used car. A TDI like spark said, or something similar, put a good stereo in it and there you go. You need a nice stereo for decompression on the way home. If you buy used you can save tons of money that will buy a lot of gas and snow tires in the winter.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You should buy a '12 Wrangler JKU with 4.88s and ARBs. 3" lift and 35" Kevlar MTRs. Gets about 15-18 mpg on the highway and will go on almost any but the most extreme trails (well, it'll go on them but there will be some damage)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You should buy a '12 Wrangler JKU with 4.88s and ARBs. 3" lift and 35" Kevlar MTRs. Gets about 15-18 mpg on the highway and will go on almost any but the most extreme trails (well, it'll go on them but there will be some damage)

For $6500? Hell, I'll buy it for $7k!

spencevans

Overlander
If I were you I would consider a a 2005-06 KJ CRD. While they are not perfect they are very nice vehicles. The 2.8 Turbo Diesel is a good engine and I consistently saw 28-30mpg on the freeway. Despite having an IFS the KJ is very capable with a cheap locker and a 2-3 lift.

lenny

Thanks guys. I went and looked at a few vehicles yesterday. It seems like it is going to be hard to find a Cherokee that isn't rusty or beat to hell, and the Toyotas I looked at all had some degree of really shitty bodywork done.

I might try and find a commuter for now and then see if I can find a wheeler

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I went and looked at a few vehicles yesterday. It seems like it is going to be hard to find a Cherokee that isn't rusty or beat to hell, and the Toyotas I looked at all had some degree of really shitty bodywork done.

I might try and find a commuter for now and then see if I can find a wheeler

....or just bump your budget up a bit and buy a JKU