what would you drive

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
ok i have built 3 cherokees both from mild to wild, cherokee have a few things

1 4.0l engine i loved that engine
2 4 doors
3 coils up front (loved the ride hated paying for lift stuff)

the bad
1 axles suck
2 no frame
3 lift kits are spendy ( unless you know some tricks which i did and saved some money.
4 manual trans are weak
5 steering upgrades are few and far between for the 30 and spendy.

now the 4 runner. goods

1 even if you solid axle swap you can do it way cheap (build your own brackets, ruf springs,ford shock towers,
2 they have a frame
3 easy to get lower gearing in t cases
4 easy motor swaps for more power
5 really easy to work on
6 axles are way stronger

now the bad
1 most need sas done
2 slower
3 harder to find
4 finding a front axle to sas with
5 more expensive to buy

so as you can see it all depends on what your wanting, if your wantin to run 35s
i would go with the yota as your going to be swaping axles in the jeep any way might as well sas a 4 runner. and lifts for the toyotas are just a junk yard run away.

but saying that i liked my cherokees to, as im not working on making my truck a walk threw cab and putting the cage into the bed so my kids can come for rides with me.

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
some h2 wheels on that runner would work great to get the tires back in under the fenders, and some flairs. but you still have the dang 3.0 i would rip it out and put a 3.4 in or a 4.3 vortec. as you can tell i dont like the 3.0.

the runner could easily run 38s at that height also.

the cherokee is nice i like it would be a good duel purpose rig but pushing the axles to the brink on even constrictor with 35s.

but if your getting into harder stuff please a role cage in what ever you choose.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
I once wanted to get down with the Toyota clan... so I sold the the xj and bought a 85 toy truck with a auto.... ya that was a mistake. had it for oh, I would say two months. sold it and got another xj. then for some odd reason, I thought once again that I wanted a truck again... so I traded the xj for a clean 83 this time with a manual, I loved to drive it around town but on the highway or in the mountains it sucked.... well the wife got prego again so I traded it off for yet another xj. since then I have had two more xj's hence my screen name... I am currently running a 01 xj long armed and locked in the rear with 33s. I love this thing I will never not have a xj...
I vote xj I think in the long run you will much happier. but that is just me.

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
To clarify if i had to choose out of the two rigs you said you were looking at i would have got the 4runner but like i said i would get Ileans over both, but if you could just get any one cherokke or 4runner, i would go with the 2nd generation 4runners. Yes the 3.0L V6 is not a powerful engine 155hp and 180lbs is not a fire breather but i go as fast as i want in mine except up parleys or such but since when are 4X4's for flying up parley's? If you go with a 2nd gen runner you solid axle swap it, locker in the rea,r and gear the transfer case lower, throw on 35's and rock sliders and your done, ive wheeled the crap out of mine with no problems except i didnt make my front drive shaft long enough so it would come out at extreme uphills and articulating, but im changing that right now
If you go with a cherokee you need to swap out the both axles and possibly the transfer and tranny depending on what years you get, yes the motor is not bad but then again i had a buddy with a XJ and he has had 2 motors blow up wheeling, but thats just my opinion let us know what else you find or decide to get best of luck

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
If you go with a cherokee you need to swap out the both axles and possibly the transfer and tranny depending on what years you get, yes the motor is not bad but then again i had a buddy with a XJ and he has had 2 motors blow up wheeling, but thats just my opinion let us know what else you find or decide to get best of luck

The only thing you need to swap out on a Cherokee is the dana 35. There is absolutly nothing wrong with the transmission, the t-case, or the dana 30 in the front.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Honestly, out of the two of those, I'd keep looking. Both are too tall, the 4runner is suspect, and the XJ is a pre-1991 so it has the crappier cooling system and a bit less power.
Yes go with a 91 or newer if you are going to go with an XJ

Bart

If you look beyond this offer you are NUTZ.

If you did want to go that route, I've been kicking around the idea of selling my '85 4runner. I'd like in the $4K range for it. It's built mostly like a Toyota, dual 'cases, Budbuilt crossmember, 5.29's, Detroit rear Lockright front, Longfields, hydro assist steering, traction bars F+R, tube bumpers/sliders, 35" radial Trepadors on brand-new Pro Comp alloy rims.

Bart

This comment is so baseless of facts I don't know where to start. I get that you love Toyota's but get a clue. As far as the 2 motors and your buddy, I'd say that was extremely rare. I've run those motors to 200k and punished them hard without a problem. I'd put them against any of the Yota motors. And the AW4 tranny was actually put in Toyotas also. I'm thinking about swapping one into my TJ. I competed with one for 4 years without a problem.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
x2 wayne and bart

the aw4 was put in supras and called the a340 if i remember right. it's a great tranny if you keep it cool. also, saying the 30 needs to be swapped out no matter what is ridiculous. i am definitely not in the 30 fan club but lots of guys run 35's on them without only occasional trouble. unlocked i think they are fine. and what's with saying the t-case needs to be swapped too? i know quite a few guys that have the 231 on full-bodied jeeps with 37-40" tires and they have never had a problem. those are also without wide-chain kits or the hd planetary gears that make them even stronger

is the yota gear-driven case better, sure... but don't throw the 231 under the bus just cause

sixstringsteve

you can make either one be equally cool. Just in my experience, I don't think most vehicles that can do pritchett are great daily drivers. I know, there are a few exceptions, but that's a pretty tall order to be able to do pritchett and still be a great daily.

Now that I said that I'll get 10 people telling me I'm wrong because "their" rig can do it. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that the more capable it is, the less streetable it is.

If I were to do it again, I'd go with a 96 or newer runner (or tacoma), and do a 3" lift, keep it ifs, and have a blast and still have a great daily driver. But I'm always going to pick the toyota, just cuz I'm a toyota guy and I think those engineers back in the day (prior to '05) were really on top of their game. BUt I also realize that toyotas aren't for everyone.

I've seen some cool builds lately where people take a yota truck and add a bench seat in the rear. best of both worlds in my opinion.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
you can make either one be equally cool. Just in my experience, I don't think most vehicles that can do pritchett are great daily drivers. I know, there are a few exceptions, but that's a pretty tall order to be able to do pritchett and still be a great daily.

Now that I said that I'll get 10 people telling me I'm wrong because "their" rig can do it. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that the more capable it is, the less streetable it is.

If I were to do it again, I'd go with a 96 or newer runner (or tacoma), and do a 3" lift, keep it ifs, and have a blast and still have a great daily driver. But I'm always going to pick the toyota, just cuz I'm a toyota guy and I think those engineers back in the day (prior to '05) were really on top of their game. BUt I also realize that toyotas aren't for everyone.

I've seen some cool builds lately where people take a yota truck and add a bench seat in the rear. best of both worlds in my opinion.

Pritchett-XJ-rckr.jpg

Can't be done. Can't tow a tent trailer down and back either. Can't daily drive it to work either

sixstringsteve

I don't think most vehicles that can do pritchett are great daily drivers. I know, there are a few exceptions, but that's a pretty tall order to be able to do pritchett and still be a great daily.

only 9 more left

Last edited: