what would you drive

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
If you did want to go that route, I've been kicking around the idea of selling my '85 4runner. I'd like in the $4K range for it. It's built mostly like a Toyota, dual 'cases, Budbuilt crossmember, 5.29's, Detroit rear Lockright front, Longfields, hydro assist steering, traction bars F+R, tube bumpers/sliders, 35" radial Trepadors on brand-new Pro Comp alloy rims.

Uhm, anyone that is looking for a rig, is not going to find a better one for the money. Almost enough to make me buy a Toy, to bad I'm broke and wouldn't fit through the door.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
you can make either one be equally cool. Just in my experience, I don't think most vehicles that can do pritchett are great daily drivers. I know, there are a few exceptions, but that's a pretty tall order to be able to do pritchett and still be a great daily.

Now that I said that I'll get 10 people telling me I'm wrong because "their" rig can do it. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that the more capable it is, the less streetable it is.

If I were to do it again, I'd go with a 96 or newer runner (or tacoma), and do a 3" lift, keep it ifs, and have a blast and still have a great daily driver. But I'm always going to pick the toyota, just cuz I'm a toyota guy and I think those engineers back in the day (prior to '05) were really on top of their game. BUt I also realize that toyotas aren't for everyone.

I've seen some cool builds lately where people take a yota truck and add a bench seat in the rear. best of both worlds in my opinion.

Steve you are right there are always exception like this:
VW_4wheeler.jpeg

I bet a lot people say you can't put a 4 wheeler on a beetle either. There is "practical" and there is "It can be done".
http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/591/VW_4wheeler.jpeg

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
This comment is so baseless of facts I don't know where to start. I get that you love Toyota's but get a clue. As far as the 2 motors and your buddy, I'd say that was extremely rare. I've run those motors to 200k and punished them hard without a problem. I'd put them against any of the Yota motors. And the AW4 tranny was actually put in Toyotas also. I'm thinking about swapping one into my TJ. I competed with one for 4 years without a problem.

Im sorry if i offended you with bursting the bubble of XJ's but you didnt even read my whole quote, i said depending on what year you get, any XJ guy knows the AW4 and the 231 did not come it every XJ. Some have a very crappy Peugeot tranny in it and the AX15 is not on the top of list either as well as other chain driven transfers i can't remember the models of the top of my head but i can get you the info if you like. Several
years of the early and mid 90's ones that have the better componets, if you don't believe me go look it up on 4wheel petersens or 4wheel web sites both have published articles on the history and what not to get and what to get.
If you want to call my info baseless thats fine but do some homework first and actually keep it in context. I don't really care if someone wants to build a XJ i actually have always liked them as far as Jeeps go but given the choice i go with a toyota, im rocking 230000 miles on my 3.0L still no problems at all and i love it so of course i would recommend it. The Guy wantsto run prichette and othe hard trails and still drive on the road so yes he could run a D30 in front but he would have to spend more money building it up to handle the bigger tires and abuse with out breaking. :-\
This thread is not susposed to be a bash session so back to the choice at hand

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Im sorry if i offended you with bursting the bubble of XJ's but you didnt even read my whole quote, i said depending on what year you get, any XJ guy knows the AW4 and the 231 did not come it every XJ. Some have a very crappy Peugeot tranny in it and the AX15 is not on the top of list either as well as other chain driven transfers i can't remember the models of the top of my head but i can get you the info if you like. Several
years of the early and mid 90's ones that have the better componets, if you don't believe me go look it up on 4wheel petersens or 4wheel web sites both have published articles on the history and what not to get and what to get.
If you want to call my info baseless thats fine but do some homework first and actually keep it in context. I don't really care if someone wants to build a XJ i actually have always liked them as far as Jeeps go but given the choice i go with a toyota, im rocking 230000 miles on my 3.0L still no problems at all and i love it so of course i would recommend it. The Guy wantsto run prichette and othe hard trails and still drive on the road so yes he could run a D30 in front but he would have to spend more money building it up to handle the bigger tires and abuse with out breaking. :-\
This thread is not susposed to be a bash session so back to the choice at hand

I was going to respond to a few things, but if you get a '91 or newer XJ, you'll be in pretty decent shape. The older ones have some decent parts and some junk mixed in. That only leaves you with 8-10 production years to choose from to make a decent rig out of. Not that the earlier ones can't be built, but you'll need to do a little research before buying/building.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
Can't we all just get along:p Haha I love these threads like this because it always starts out nice and ppl are giving their honest opinion and experiences and why you should buy what they have. Then always turns into minor arguments. Anyway, Just funny:rofl::)

Bart

87 to 90 XJs are not bad either. They just changed the fuel injection and head design a bit. The HO started in 91. Everything else is the same. It's the pre-87s that came with the bad V6 engines.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
yeah plenty of people have good experiences with the renix era but i'd still say to look for a 91+, it's just one of those things. it wouldn't stop me from buying one i liked though

87 to 90 XJs are not bad either. They just changed the fuel injection and head design a bit. The HO started in 91. Everything else is the same. It's the pre-87s that came with the bad V6 engines.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Yeah, they all go this way (no offense to the OP).

Now if you ask something like "Which is better, from those of you who have owned both which would you buy", you might get some actual information you could use to make an educated decision. From an internet forum, all you'll be getting is brand preference garbage.

I've owned several of both, and I know which of the two I'd purchase if I were in that market. But, it's a total waste of time spilling that here.

Can't we all just get along:p Haha I love these threads like this because it always starts out nice and ppl are giving their honest opinion and experiences and why you should buy what they have. Then always turns into minor arguments. Anyway, Just funny:rofl::)

rondo

rondo
????:confused:????

Seems like most Toyotas are lifted WAY higher than you'd have to lift a Jeep. I ran 35" tires on a 5.5"-6" lift. I liked that quite a bit. Low enough center of gravity to keep you comfortable, but good ground clearance with the D30 and D44.

Okay i admit i didn't pick my words well. I, like most if not all wheelers check out anything that's lifted when i pass it on the street. I love 4x4s. If there's a hot chick and a lifted XJ at the same time, i'd admit to being torn between which to check out as i drive by :eek:
It's just that i've seen a lot of XJs that are lifted higher than what i'd want. I've also helped my pal lift his to fit 35s and it was not something i'd personally be comfortably wheeling in. I'm thinking a liberal trimming of the fenders would be better than adding 2 more inches. But he didn't want to do that.

In any event, the dana 30 alone makes me cringe. Again, if Pritchett is the lit test, then that implies somebody who wants a drivetrain that is strong enough to 'take it'. That is a hard trail in spite of the people that will inevitably come on here and say "i've done that trail in 1 hour with no breakage" yeah whatever.

Otherwise, wheel whatever suits you. I used to wheel a lot with the big horn crowd back in the day; several jeeps in that crowd had dana 30 fronts and super 35 kit rears. We weren't hard core crawling and we didn't break shat.

fjsomething

My buddy Chris had an 85 toy truck. That thing was amazing. He made several trips from st. george to moab or north to the ogden area with it.

It had RUF and some like 3" spring from marlin/alpro/ or tg(cant remember). Had dual cases with gears, long up front(27 spline), welded rear, arb front, and 35's. He wheeled it all over st. george. I think he's wheel with 1/4eliptical toy a time or two(I dont know if you would remember or not).

I know he bought the truck built for the most part this way for some rediculus price of like $2800.00 or something liked that.

snowboard3r411

as some one who only buys and wheels xj's i well have to agree you Will! need to put money into the axles for serious wheeling. they do take quite a bit of ad ons to make them trail worthry. and you can get shiity ass drivetrains in them as was said early the ax-5 is junk and the pukegoat is worthless to. if your going with a xj get a 91+ so you dont have to worry about the shitty trans and renix bs. 91+ was h.o motors and very worthy.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I remember it was a Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 engine that won the Baja 1000 about 1996. So the 4.0 is a good choice IMO.