What

burke

I would love to bring that home just so I could see the expression on my wife's face as i pull it in the drive way! That is awesome, would be a great foundation for a expo rig or maybe even a tow rig.:ugh:

No motor or Trans. I was thinking it would be great for a CTD. Then bolt an old Camping Trailer to the back and roll large! No clue what the thing is. RHD though so it is probably Foriegn.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
That front axle housing looks mean.. I at first thought that it was a portal axle, but i am leaning towards it not being any such axle after closer inspection of the pic. I don't think it's a Unimog. Interesting that it has no headlights formed into the front clip. I'd say 1950-60's era just by judging it's look against other trucks..

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
It doesn't seem like this thread was started so long ago! :rofl:

Definatly not a Unimog. My guess is that its European and like Sami stated it was probably made in the 50-60's and does not have portal axles. Other than that I have no clue whatsoever.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I don't think Unimogs ever looked like that. They started out as small, multiple-use implement carriers. :D

edit: here's a 1955

unimog-expanded-range-15.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Precisely my point sir Tacoma.. Thank you.

I'd say that it most certainly is 'Unimog-esque' due to it's tractor like appearance.

JoeT

There's a junkyard right next to the freeway at the Mtn. Home exit that has construction equiptment and large trucks. I'm betting it's there. Next time I head up to Boise to visit my brother, I'll stop there.

There's a junkyard right next to the freeway at the Mtn. Home exit that has construction equiptment and large trucks. I'm betting it's there. Next time I head up to Boise to visit my brother, I'll stop there.

This is at Vintage Auto in Mountain Home. I know the yard you are talking about and that is not it.

Update...

So I talked with Jim Hines who is the guy that owns/runs Vintage Auto here in Mountain Home. These trucks were built by Studebaker and REO just prior to WWII as part of the Lend-Lease act from 1939 to 1941. Thousands of these were shipped to Russia and our Allies in the Pacific Theater. Every single one of these that were shipped overseas were destroyed at the end of the War per the terms of the Lend-Lease act. This is one of the few remaining examples left in the world.

Vintage and Rare at the same time.