what's a unimog worth?

xjc

I give up :(
Ok, I know that unimog portal axles are the holy grale of axles but how much would a unimog be worth? The one I am looking at is a regular cab flat bed with an extremely short wheel base (approx. 10 to 15 ft). I don't know a year but it is probably 15 or 20 years old.

this is not the actual one I am looking at but it looks almost exactly the same

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
From what I have seen, $6-8 grand is where the decent ones start. That one your looking at is probably around $10-12, or more if its been restored. Mogs kick ass! I'd love one!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
i just happen to know the "mog-master" and the supplier of the mog master who lives in germany. PM me or give me a call. take some digipics and get some numbers off that mog so i can run them by him. his shop is down on west 17th and he just sold off his last mog he had in stock. his starting prices are around 5-6000$ for the nice swiss surplus mogs. the older ones have that cold war flavor though:D

xjc

I got a hold of the guy in charge of the vehicles and found out that they will probably be sold 6 to 12 months from now. They might be traded in though. That would bite.

There are actualy three or four of them. One is being used for parts. Apparently they are quite old and the main reason they are being replaced is the fact that they are hard to find parts for. Given the current situation, they would probably be dirt cheep. Unfortuantely I am guessing that they would not be very usefull as a vehicle because they are having so many maintenance probablems. The cluches are going out on them and that is going to be the last straw.

I can picture trying to change the cluch to one of those in my driveway:eek: :eek: :eek: . The tranny on a unimog has got to be huge!!! 16 gears. No wonder they want to sell them rather than replace the cluches.

I will let everyone know if I find out that they are going on sale.

Four sets of unimog axles would realy change things on the rme board

If I got a set I would love to put them under a sami. That would rock!!!

xjc

I went out and crawled around a mog today and those things are incredible!!! That has to be the most competant 4X4 ever made in production. They are incredably compact and built to survive the apocalypse. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have to have one

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by xjc
I went out and crawled around a mog today and those things are incredible!!! That has to be the most competant 4X4 ever made in production. They are incredably compact and built to survive the apocalypse. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have to have one

I agree with you...... you've got your Tow Rig and wheelin rig all in one package. Tow your buddys Jeep behind the Mog and then wheel them both!

I want one too! Keep us updated as your search for prices and other info comes up.

Did you ever see the one running around that has Coilovers?

demon jeep

Banned
If you can wait for 2-3 more years fraitliner trucks are going to start selling them in the US. They will start out base model at about 45k-50k and go way up from there. that is what fraitliner sales man told me, the price might be even higher. Kenworth use to sell them but lost the contract 4 years ago.

xjc

The ones I know about are seriously old. They are almost to the point of being sold for parts. They will need some work if you want to drive them allot. The good side of this is that they will be very cheep. If you just want some portals these would be a good source. It would be cool to get two and keep one for parts and sell the axles out of the parts one to pay for it.

One thing that I thought was wild is the fact that, unless I am mistaken, I think the drive lines turn inside a sleave. No moving parts are exposed. The design makes sence becouse these ones are set up for pushing snow and I can immagine situations where a drive line could ice up over night.

My only fear with a mog is that I would have to replace the cluch or something like that. I don't think your average autozone trany jack would be up for the job. Height or weight

Too Far

parts is parts
The torque tube drive shaft that the mogs use are partly responsible for their great performance. This set up eliminates axle wrap. It also makes it a pain to use the mop axles on anything else. Unless you use a kit similar to what killer axles sells, which switches the input over to a regular flanged afair. The mog axles are very wide as well. I talked with the mog group in moab and they said that a decent 404 would go for around 6-8K, but ones in need of repair can be dirt cheep if you find a motivated seller.