what's a welding test entail???

ToyFamily

I was just looking for a job and dropped off a res. at a general fab buss (looked like handrails, steel boxes, etc...) and they said they'd look the resume over and if interested they'd call me back for a welding test.......I've been welding for about 4yrs and for several companies (all knew my work before hand and requested me to work for them) from constuction supply (grates, slip forms) to 4x fab, tube chassis, etc... but have never taken any tests, what would I expect to see????

been doin my own work for a while
www.buds4x4.com/rock_me_bumpers/

Last edited:

Caleb

well I have never taken any tests either but from the little schooling I went through I do know that they will want you to weld in all positions see what kind of welding you can do (mig, tig, arc, etc) and to be certified I know they do desructive testing and they x-ray your welds to see if you have any inclusions inside the weld...honestly I wouldn;t sweat it...if you have been welding for a while (which it seems you have been) and are comfortable around a welder then you should do fine...

ToyFamily

that's what's funny, i have been and have been confident in my work and at the last comp I went end over end in my buggy off a 10ft ledge smashing the tube on the top cage but all welds intact, glad to test my quality of work on myself...butthen someone says test and I doubt myself :rolleyes: I hate tests...

Last edited:

Caleb

naw...you should do fine...what type of welding is it??? Do you know...I dont think anyone will be relying on a handrail like you do a roll cage...:D

ToyFamily

that's what I was thinking when I heard that....It's not like this was a industrial pipe welding company welding huge tube to be pressurized. Maybe they are just checking to make sure they aren't hiring booger welders

What company are you interviewing with?

Depending on what they build and what code they want to qualify you to, you might be asked to do a couple test plates. One might be a 1/2" thick plate with a V groove of about 60 degrees they'll want you to weld in the horizontal position, multiple passes. The other plate might be another 1/2" V groove except this time you'll weld it vertical up, multiple passes.

They can either Xray your test plates or cut samples from them and bend them into a U to see what the inside looks like.

If you've never welded test plates before, it takes a little practice. I used to administer the weld tests at Rocky Mountain Fabrication and the guys that had a lot of code experience had no problems, but the ones straight off the farm struggled simply because they hadn't ever taken a weld test before.

You may want to call and ask exactly what kind of test they'll be giving you so you can be prepared. Post back here what you find out.

Allan