GMC / Chevy Whats the best ratio

Seven

we would need more info like Vehicle make, engine output/size/ , transmission, transfer case, and tire size to really get you a better ballpark figure.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
what are rats???

Your post is the kind of thing no one can answer. What size tires, what engine, daily driver? What transmission, etc etc etc.

EDIT: damn simulposts LOL

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
for mudding you will like the 3.73 and the high output engine... but for rock crawling you will want lower gears... if your going to doing more rock crawling then mudding I would go lower gears... but if mudding is what you really want to do then I would stay with a higher gear so that you get more wheel spin to clean the mud out of the tires. I would probably go with 4.10.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Match your axle gears to the RPM's you want to turn going down the highway. I like the RPM's while cruising to match the peak torque your engine produces. Imaginary example: I like to drive 65-70mph on the freeway and my engine makes its peak torque at ~2000 RPMs. So that combined with a .75 overdrive, 4.10 gears and 35" tires puts me right around 2000rpm's @ 67mph more or less. Going this route will help a ton with fuel mileage and power while towing.

For the most part its best NOT to gear your axles for offroad--match your gears to your tire size. The off road or "rock crawling" gearing should be invested in your transfer case(s).

ALF

SURE!?
I currantly have 3.73's and 35's on my K5 and the last trip to Moab had me riding the brake in 4 lo ALOT...I'll be going to 4.10's with my new axles so hopefully that helps!! I will eventually go to 4.56's but that won't happen until I can get someone to buy my Damn Jeep!

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Where you are running 3.73s now, I wouldn't go through the trouble of regearing only one step to 4.10. If I was going to do it, I would step on up to 4.56.

ALF

SURE!?
Where you are running 3.73s now, I wouldn't go through the trouble of regearing only one step to 4.10. If I was going to do it, I would step on up to 4.56.

The 3/4 tons I'm swapping in have 4.10's I'm not swapping gears. In all reality one could find axles with 4.56's cheaper than swapping gears.:eek: