As far as I know:

041209224218_temple_of_rats.jpg

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Just an idea:

R ing
A nd
P inion

Maybe there are people out there that use the acronym "RAP", and he misheard it as "RAT"?

I've never heard anyone refer to them as "rap" gears, but it makes more sense than "rat".

:confused:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Well. Ok.

I would say... 4:10's are a better ratio, having driven both on 35's, and with or without an OD transmission. I've got 4.56's and 35's with a 700r4 in the Blazer, and it was a little bit buzzy on the road... but I try to do 85 on the highway, so YMMV. I also don't care much as long as I'm getting at least 10mpg out of that thing.

I'd really like 4.88's or 5.13's but I have to keep this thing as a DD for now.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
In my opion 4.10's sound like what you want, you will get good gas mileage and will have a little more control over your speed when crawling. I had 3.30 in my 4runner and even just trail running i found my self riding the brake alot to slow down in 4low and considering you are pushing 400 pounds of torq i think going to 4.56 or a high number would turn it into a crawler and not a mud machine, rotbox is right if you want to crawl do 4.10's and maybe a doubler kit so that way you have 1:1 high, 2.whatever:1 low and a super low too. The 4.10's helped alot in the speed control for me and the crawling but i still cruse just fine

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Alf hinted at it, the axles under that Burb aren't worth puting gears into. Pick up a good used pair of 4.10 geared 3/4 or one tons and you'll be much better off.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Well. Ok.

I would say... 4:10's are a better ratio, having driven both on 35's, and with or without an OD transmission. I've got 4.56's and 35's with a 700r4 in the Blazer, and it was a little bit buzzy on the road... but I try to do 85 on the highway, so YMMV. I also don't care much as long as I'm getting at least 10mpg out of that thing.

I'd really like 4.88's or 5.13's but I have to keep this thing as a DD for now.

I would say 4:10's for the same reason..

though really Tacoma you have to be able to drive it to call it a Daily Driver :)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
You could gain 4.10's gears using the axles from a 3/4 or 1 ton. An 8 lug Dana 44 and a Full Floating Corp. 14bolt (from suburban or truck) can be had for REALLY cheap if you keep your eyes open. For the most part it is a bolt in swap.

You will gain lower gearing and you would have a rear axle with 10 times the strength ;)

ALF

SURE!?
You could gain 4.10's gears using the axles from a 3/4 or 1 ton. An 8 lug Dana 44 and a Full Floating Corp. 14bolt (from suburban or truck) can be had for REALLY cheap if you keep your eyes open. For the most part it is a bolt in swap.

You will gain lower gearing and you would have a rear axle with 10 times the strength ;)

exactly. I got a rig with 3/4 tons and 4.10s for $200. Kept the axles and th350 trans and np 205 case. Sold the 4" lift and a few other odds and ends for $180 and $40 for scrap. :D

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
do you think it actually makes 400 hp and tq?

i agree with everyone else, get some 3/4t's with 4.10's and you will definitely notice a difference but it will be pretty minor