Wheel Re-centering

Bucking Bronco

My front axle is about 3 in wider then the rear, I am considering cutting the center out on 2 of the wheels and re-welding them increasing the offset 1.5” on each wheel

To me it sounds simple but is there anything I should worry about except getting them centered.

Or is there someone local who does stuff like this

I normally would not care but my front axle with tires is nearly 86” wide and my trailer is only 83” wide

Caleb

IMO, 3" wider in the front (especially on a buggy) is about right. Having a wider front helps with your turning radius. Also having different offsets screws up any chance of having a single spare.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've done it. It's a pain in the butt (mostly the grinding out of the existing welds) but works. I trued it up before welding by mounting it on the axle and placing something next to it as a reference point, then tapped it until it was as true as I could get it. (turned out to always have about 1/8" of runout, but that's excellent compared to the out-of-the-box rim's 1/4" :D)

In my case I didn't have a single spare option like Caleb said, but it was worth it for me because I had a full-width D60 up front with a Toyota minitruck rear axle, so there was a good 8" of width difference so every little bit helped.

KHalls

Extendurai
I've done this also. Takes some time, and dirty work getting those welds out.
They have been working for me for quite a few years now. Centered 'em up like Carl did.
In my case I was just too cheap to get different wheels.

Bucking Bronco

What sucks is they are brand new wheels, I have thought about selling them but I dont want to take a loss on something that is new.

I was considering just selling 1 and buying 2 more with the offset and then using the other as a spare.