Wheel size for beadlocks & alternatives discussion.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I know a guy that did one back in the day. He used bailing wire or something to set the radius and then just cut them out. Sure they weren't perfect but I'll be damned that it worked. The bad part was that he hand drilled all the holes. That's a deal breaker right there.
I know that my skills are too hack. I’d rather pay someone with skills and get a superior product at the end.

You did get me thinking about it. Yes, I could figure out. But I’m not sure it would turn out good and I already have too many projects.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would only bump up to 17's if you're gonna run 37's.
That being said, I have only had a bead problem with Super Swamper tires. Specifically a TSL SX. I currently have Maxxis RZR 37's on 17" non beadlocks wheels and I'm surprised that I haven't lost a bead yet. Last weekend at the dunes I was at 6 psi and really laying into carving turns. I've folded the whole sidewall over many different times and never lost a bead.

smfulle

Not really the same as what most of you are talking about, but on my 48 CJ2A running stock wheels without safety bumps on the wheels and old school 7.00x16 NDT tires I am running tubeless on wheels and tires that are originally meant to have tubes. When I mount the tires I pour in about a cup of liquid laundry starch, yes, liquid laundry starch (about 3 bucks for 64 oz bottle). The starch seals the bead and helps it to stay in place. It also works as a leak sealer on other leaky spots. I have blown a bead on one extreme spot, but it was easy to reseat with a ratchet strap. Took about 10 minutes to jack it up, wrap the strap, and air up.
Just an old school, non-conventional way to keep your current wheels and also keep the rubber attached to them.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
YEARS AGO I welded a inner safety bead on a set of 16.5s with 1/8" cold rolled, the first one I used 3/16". It was a bear to mount so I took it to Tito's tires. They got it mounted and they never ever came off again. It took a sawzall to dismount one when I cut a sidewall. I flap wheeled that one down and it was perfect.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
YEARS AGO I welded a inner safety bead on a set of 16.5s with 1/8" cold rolled, the first one I used 3/16". It was a bear to mount so I took it to Tito's tires. They got it mounted and they never ever came off again. It took a sawzall to dismount one when I cut a sidewall. I flap wheeled that one down and it was perfect.
I currently have this dilemma but I used 1/8" on my inner beads. I now can't break the inner bead on my tires, which is so stupid because they still burp air. 🤦‍♂️

RockChucker

I currently have this dilemma but I used 1/8" on my inner beads. I now can't break the inner bead on my tires, which is so stupid because they still burp air. 🤦‍♂️
Ha. Bias ply problems. My old creepy crawlers burped the worst out of any tire I know of. One burped so bad one time that it went all the way flat in one shot and I thought I had broken the bead. 10 mins with my ARB compressor and I was good to go. 40s hold a lot of air from all the way flat

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Currently runs stock old school toyota SR5 pickup wheels and 34x9.50 swampers which work well. (The previous setup was 36" TSL Swampers on 10" wheels and it popped beads off all the time). Thinking about getting steel wheels in a 8" width.

Blizzy:
View attachment 135348

So I found the stamp on these wheels- turns out they are 5.5JJx15. Not ever offered on pickups so - it looks like they are stock FJ40 wheels. Maybe worth something to a restorer, so no welding a beadlock on these. (I do have an FJ80 and a fondness for FJ40s)

The reason I was looking into beadlocks; during the Winter4x4 Jambo my wife was driving up the top obstacle on John's trail and got pretty sideways at the point where it would have been a long way down had the bead popped off - it didn't, but my heart dropped when I saw the tire with all of the weight on it fold under. Seems like a close call that we could avoid in the future.

Has anyone here used the InnerAir internal beadlocks?? I run Tubliss on my trail bikes with good results. The InnerAir seems similar. Unknowns are leak down, maintenance, balance and ???.

Pile of parts

So I found the stamp on these wheels- turns out they are 5.5JJx15. Not ever offered on pickups so - it looks like they are stock FJ40 wheels. Maybe worth something to a restorer, so no welding a beadlock on these. (I do have an FJ80 and a fondness for FJ40s)

The reason I was looking into beadlocks; during the Winter4x4 Jambo my wife was driving up the top obstacle on John's trail and got pretty sideways at the point where it would have been a long way down had the bead popped off - it didn't, but my heart dropped when I saw the tire with all of the weight on it fold under. Seems like a close call that we could avoid in the future.

Has anyone here used the InnerAir internal beadlocks?? I run Tubliss on my trail bikes with good results. The InnerAir seems similar. Unknowns are leak down, maintenance, balance and ???.
I have run them and never lost a bead. I first ran them on a set of 15 x 10 with 38" TSLs. The only issues I had were; sometimes I'd pop or tear a tube. Fortunately this was not a trip ender. The other issue is airing up and down can be a little difficult.

The second set I ran was on a 17 x 9 with 39.5" TSLs. Again, never lost a bead. Never burped any air. Same issues as with the 15" wheels. Replacement tubes were cheap because they are standard ATV/Motorcycle tubes.

Bottom line, I liked them and had good luck. I learned to deal with the issues, which were not all that bad.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I ran them on two different buggies in the past.

I liked them because it "locked" both the inner and outer beads. I usually looked for aluminum used wheels on KSL/Craigslist for cheap and then bought the Innerairlocks. I was usually ahead (money wise) by doing this.

I never had a tire burp air or had any issues with them outside of the tube losing air, in turn it would drop the actual tire pressure. This never happened in all 4 tires either. It always seemed to be just one or two tires that would lose air. It was not a huge deal, I just had to check pressure before going wheeling. I accepted the fact that the only 1 or 2 tires losing air could be chalked up to doing something wrong during install and ultimately user error. I

I now run a set of Dirty Life bead locks. They were reasonably priced and I have yet to have a tire leak air. (except for when I ran over a nail on my brand new 42 red label Krawler).

To summarize. I would buy them again.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I now run a set of Dirty Life bead locks. They were reasonably priced and I have yet to have a tire leak air. (except for when I ran over a nail on my brand new 42 red label Krawler).

To summarize. I would buy them again.

Now that (Dirty Life) is a brand I had never heard of. I'll check them out.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
5A305F46-3050-47AC-A475-54633DEA5527.jpeg
Picked up a set of Methods today.
I wasn’t sure how the 4.75” backspacing would work out, so I mounted a wheel up to the front.

Clears all the steering and surprisingly doesn’t add more than 1/2” to the track width compared to the 5.5” wide steel wheels it has on it now.

Now we just need to find some 37-ish tires.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
View attachment 136270
Picked up a set of Methods today.
I wasn’t sure how the 4.75” backspacing would work out, so I mounted a wheel up to the front.

Clears all the steering and surprisingly doesn’t add more than 1/2” to the track width compared to the 5.5” wide steel wheels it has on it now.

Now we just need to find some 37-ish tires.
I have some experienced 38” Kevlar that have about 20-25% tread. I think I might buy a couple ORI units for my rear suspension and need to clear out my garage to do that

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I have some experienced 38” Kevlar that have about 20-25% tread. I think I might buy a couple ORI units for my rear suspension and need to clear out my garage to do that
How "true" to height are they? (Honestly not sure 37s isn't pushing it)

I'd definitely like to take a look. Did I see some pictures of them on here somewhere?