Wheel spacer for spare tire?

diablokicks

My 99 TJ has 33' tires, but the spare was only a 31'. So i swapped the spare to a 33' but now it wont fit on there (too wide). The 3rd brake light can be raised thats not a problem, but it is hitting the bumpstops and the bumper a little bit.

My question is would it be smart to put a 3' spacer on the tire carrier to push the tire out so it is not hitting? If so does anyone have one i can buy? I have a trip coming up in 3 weeks and really don't want to haul the tire in the back of the jeep.

Cascadia

Undecided
My question is would it be smart to put a 3' spacer on the tire carrier to push the tire out so it is not hitting?

A 3 foot spacer might be a little on the ginormous side. Maybe a 3 inch would be fine but that's still a pretty big spacer. No matter what you do, eventually, and not too far down the road the weight from that 33 will tweak your rear gate and it won't be a tight close all the way around. The rear gate wasn't designed to hold a tire that big and with a spacer it is just creating more leverage to bend the gate. I'd save up and put that spacer money towards a tire holder bumper.

diablokicks

A 3 foot spacer might be a little on the ginormous side. Maybe a 3 inch would be fine but that's still a pretty big spacer. No matter what you do, eventually, and not too far down the road the weight from that 33 will tweak your rear gate and it won't be a tight close all the way around. The rear gate wasn't designed to hold a tire that big and with a spacer it is just creating more leverage to bend the gate. I'd save up and put that spacer money towards a tire holder bumper.

Agreed, but i got a trip in 3 weeks, and i don't really want to buy one right now (unless someone has a decent one for not that much) with so little time. Anyone have any suggestions? I dont want to throw the tire in the back because its 2 days in and 2 days out so i'll have plenty of gear back there.

Xploderkid97

Diablokicks... ive got an extension that is for the stock carrier. fit my 33 just fine. its all yours if you want it only catch is getting it to you.