Wheel spacers... Pro's and Con's

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
well, your jeep would look funny without them too.

You're a special case.

Wheel spacers are ok as long as they don't cause your tires to stick out rediculously. I love to see YJ's and TJ's (and others) with like 3" lifts and their tires pushed out like 6" as if it looks cool or gives them some sort of added stability.

simplyXJ

Haha yeah none of that low rider sh!t for me. I do have a good size lift and you honestly don't see a big difference when on or off with mine...

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Ok, time for some simple math.

My truck started out with 8" rims with 3.5" of backspace for a total of 72"

I removed the 8's and replaced with 10's with 2" of backspace, I used a calculator so my math should be correct.

By Removing 3" total from my backspace, I added 3" of track width (Tires stick out 1.5" on either side = 1.5" of gained track width)

So, 72 + 3 = 75 right? So if I am at 79" total, where did that other 4" come from? Oh yeah, the 2" on either side from the added width of the rim for a total of (your still with me right?) 79" of total track width.

This has nothing to do with tread width............. This is simple math, and you are more than welcome to stop by and check my measurements, I have both sets of rims and tires.

You are correct sir!

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Ok, time for some simple math.

My truck started out with 8" rims with 3.5" of backspace for a total of 72"

I removed the 8's and replaced with 10's with 2" of backspace, I used a calculator so my math should be correct.

By Removing 3" total from my backspace, I added 3" of track width (Tires stick out 1.5" on either side = 1.5" of gained track width)

So, 72 + 3 = 75 right? So if I am at 79" total, where did that other 4" come from? Oh yeah, the 2" on either side from the added width of the rim for a total of (your still with me right?) 79" of total track width.

This has nothing to do with tread width............. This is simple math, and you are more than welcome to stop by and check my measurements, I have both sets of rims and tires.

I was SO ready to argue with you. And as I formulated my response, complete with funny jabs and whitty insults at your expense, I realized you were right. :(

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
Really ruins the fun when the wind is let out of the sails doesn't it? I still completely agree with you on the tread though. My math is off a little. I forgot to take into account welding on my Beadlocks!!

simplyXJ

Yeah I knew I had to take them off for the inspection... Ha I also am 4" too tall and am going to test with 32's instead of my 35's! Imagine how that's going to look!

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Really ruins the fun when the wind is let out of the sails doesn't it? I still completely agree with you on the tread though. My math is off a little. I forgot to take into account welding on my Beadlocks!!

Yeah, a total kick in the pants. :-\

Spork said:
says
"Reject when spacers are used to increase the wheel track width"

What if your purpose isn't track width but bolt pattern changing? That's why I have mine! :greg:

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
If you went some where that the "Techs" weren't making $5.50 an hour, you could easily argue the legality of spacers vs. adapters!

Attachments

• Spacer.jpg
    Spacer.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Adapter.jpg
    Adapter.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 19