wheel spacers? sheesh

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I need some freakin' spacers, for a 14bolt. Wheeladapter.com, supposedly a cheap place, wants $160 each, for steel spacers. I have no doubt that they are a sweet piece, but man! $320 for spacers??????

so anyone have any suggestions?

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?

RowdyRubicon

What do you guys think of spacers ? I just lifted my 03 Rubicon and put on a set of 285x75R16s and I am rubbing the tires on the flex arms of my Teraflex lift when I turn hard. I have read some stuff online that makes me nervous about using spacers.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Well if you use locktite and check the tourqe on them every 3000 or so miles (when you rotate your tires) I doubt you will see a problem it is when you forget they are there and don't take care of them that you have a problem..

IMHO

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If you look arond, you can probably get the correctly backspaced wheels for less money than the spacers, and cure your rubbing woes. Also, spacers won't pass safety inspection, so you'll have to take them off every year to get your Jeep passed.

What do you guys think of spacers ? I just lifted my 03 Rubicon and put on a set of 285x75R16s and I am rubbing the tires on the flex arms of my Teraflex lift when I turn hard. I have read some stuff online that makes me nervous about using spacers.

1993yj

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but although spacers won't pass inspection, wheel adapters should right? (although most shops will probably just look and see that there is something spacing the wheel and not care that it is an adapter)

UT Safety Inspection Manual - 2007 said:
F. WHEELS
1. Check wheels for damage and proper mounting.
a. REJECT when:
1) Wheel bolts, nuts, studs or lugs are loose or missing.
2) Wheels are bent, cracked, re-welded or have elongated
bolt holes.
3) Spacers are used to increase the wheel track width.
4) Bead lock wheels are installed.
*NOTE: Custom wheel adapters are not spacers.

And as for the issue of spacers putting more stress on components such as ball joints, etc., a wheel with less backspacing will produce the same effect. And if you already have nice wheels that you like, adapters will be much cheaper than new wheels, unless maybe you get cheap steel wheels.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but although spacers won't pass inspection, wheel adapters should right? (although most shops will probably just look and see that there is something spacing the wheel and not care that it is an adapter)

Correct... But the shops will notice. I'd get questioned about my front spacers on the '85 4runner. I'd just tell them they are adapters and slip em a $20 or somethin.. :p

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Spacers just slip over the studs, right? Adapters are bolted down like a wheel, and the wheel bolts to that, shouldn't be an issue. I mean that the difference is obvious.

BCGPER, if you hadn't suspected it, I'm going to run H1's, stock-- spacers in the back, DRW up front.. :D

CLICK 'EM

hummerrims2spacers.jpg

hummerrims5.jpg

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
ebay, I think I paid 80 bucks shipped for my 1.5 inch aluminum and hardware 8x6.5