where to get a good buy on a welder

rondo

rondo
Hope someone can point this in the right direction.
My pal wants his welder back (gee i've only had it for 3 years) haha so I better go get my own. He was a professional welder at one time and he recommends a Lincoln 220 machine.

I don't know much about welders, but after some internet time it seems like most folks like Miller better.

I know I want a 220 and probably a small model with smaller tank to keep it portable, and keep the price to no more than $800. I know i'll never weld anything over 1/2 inch. My house is wired for his old 220 welder and i like the cleaner welds of a 220 over 110.

I've been thru the classified ads on KSL and didn't see anything that screamed bargain. My pal (see above) says not to get a used machine because it could be worn out.

anyway what do you guys recommend, but most importantly where to buy? I have some prices from the home depot site but have no idea if they are a best buy or not.

thx in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
When I was shopping around cyberweld.com had some of the best prices and free shipping. But I told Jake that I was with RME and even after taxes it was less than cyberweld.

Caleb

Like mentioned, if Jake is still at Airgas talk to him, otherwise cyberweld.com and ebay seem to have the best deals. FWIW, if it's a nice machine, I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. Even if it was used in a fab shop. Any decent machine is going to be fully serviceable at any of the shops around here. So if it's a good enough deal, go used.

Creer32

Killer CJ-7
Google everlast welders they make a 220 MIG/stick combo welder I have been reading reviews and they have great ones, also a 5 year warrnty

Airgas and ebay are great, but I would stick with a big brand (Miller, Hobart, Lincoln) because of supplies and welders do need service from time to time. You will pay a little more, but IMO it is worth it.

Caleb

What good is a warranty if you have to send it somewhere to get repaired? Also, finding consumables on a friday night (like we've all had to do at some point) can be near impossible, let alone if you have some off name welder. Personally I'd stick with one of the big names (Miller, Loncoln, Hobart, Esab, etc).

outlaw_offroad

XJ Pride!!!
Does anyone sell refurbished machines? You can usually get a pretty sweet deal on refurbished machines at welding supply shops and many offer at least a 30 day warranty on refurbished equipment.

Caleb

Does anyone sell refurbished machines? You can usually get a pretty sweet deal on refurbished machines at welding supply shops and many offer at least a 30 day warranty on refurbished equipment.
Well, quite often you can go talk with the local repair shops and they will have welders that have been brought in for repair, repaired, and then never picked up (or paid for). I've heard of many people picking them up for the cost of the repair. My bro-in-law got one of those, a nice 220V Lincoln for ~$150.

rondo

rondo
After lots of checking, I went with home depot Lincoln 220. Jake is on vacation and airgas is about 70$ more expensive. I will probably go there for the argon/CO2.