where to get a kit for my tranny (cummins)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
it's time to replace my auto in the cummins, it is being a pile of crap (that is common)
i know some of you guys have done this, so fill me in.
what should i get and where should i get the parts? who should i have install them?
i have a friend that is putting a new tc and a shift kit on his truck and installed it is $2200, it comes with a little rebuild too.

i am not looking to break the bank on it either :-\

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
xj_punk said:
it's time to replace my auto in the cummins, it is being a pile of crap (that is common)
i know some of you guys have done this, so fill me in.
what should i get and where should i get the parts? who should i have install them?
i have a friend that is putting a new tc and a shift kit on his truck and installed it is $2200, it comes with a little rebuild too.

i am not looking to break the bank on it either :-\

most cummins guys I have talked to get the full tranny from places like ATS? They dont play with the DIY because they have their engines hopped up for towing so they dont want to get stranded.

troutbum

cubi-kill
ats is big bucks, but that will be my next stop, why drop 2G's on something that ain't going to be any better....

N-Smooth

so a new torque converter and shift kit isn't any better?
i don't know much about trannys, but i am not dropping 5k, thats for sure. besides that, i need this soon.

rust bucket

Pool boy in training
ATS.......
I have a manual in mine but from what Ive ben told ats is the best hands down with the trans in the Cummins.

DToy

Go talk to Zane at Wide Open Performance (801)233-1111, 8585 South Sandy Parkway, Sandy, Ut. He knows a heckuva lot about diesel trucks...it would be worth at least getting his opinion on what your options would be. Tell him Nic (Jinx) and Darrell (DToy) sent you.

troutbum

cubi-kill
rust bucket said:
ATS.......
I have a manual in mine but from what Ive ben told ats is the best hands down with the trans in the Cummins.
I have wondered if it cheaper to convert to a stick or buy the ATS triple lock jobby

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Oh buddy...

Lots o' money, but I would buy the ATS tranny again in a heartbeat...I have never had a problem since, and I have never even worried a little bit about my tranny.

Do it right...otherwise you are just wasting your money.

N-Smooth

bryson said:
Oh buddy...

Lots o' money, but I would buy the ATS tranny again in a heartbeat...I have never had a problem since, and I have never even worried a little bit about my tranny.

Do it right...otherwise you are just wasting your money.

but 5k? :eek:
i am not towing the worlds heaviest trailer and rig and i don't have one thousand horsepower, i am going to shop around. but out of curiousity, what kit did you get?

N-Smooth

i am having lhm dodge test it tomorrow to see if it is a sensor and check the line pressure.
i can get a dodge reman with 3 year 36k mile warranty for 1300 bucks! :)
so i am not ruling that out as an option. if it lasted me another 60k miles like this tranny, then i would come out on top for sure.
we'll see what the tests say, if it is just my tc and everything else is fine, i might just replace the tc and vb with ats or dtt units and get a couple more goodies like a deep pan and noise filter.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
xj_punk said:
but 5k? :eek:
i am not towing the worlds heaviest trailer and rig and i don't have one thousand horsepower, i am going to shop around. but out of curiousity, what kit did you get?
Almost...

Neither am I...

Neither do I...

I think you should...

I didn't buy a "kit" from ATS...I just had J&G order the Triple-Loc converter, the valve body, billet input shaft, heavy-duty clutch packs, Trans Commander, etc...and had J&G put it together and install it.

Like I said before (or at least I thought it)...I may not need the tranny I have, but it is damn nice to never have to worry about it...

N-Smooth

bryson said:
I didn't buy a "kit" from ATS...I just had J&G order the Triple-Loc converter, the valve body, billet input shaft, heavy-duty clutch packs, Trans Commander, etc...and had J&G put it together and install it.

Like I said before (or at least I thought it)...I may not need the tranny I have, but it is damn nice to never have to worry about it...

sounds like its basically the stage 4,but you didn't get a rebuilt housing with that stuff already installed. the stage 4 comes with everything except the triplelock converter and billet shaft.
i would love to have that kit, trust me