Where to get Aluminum sheet in the SL Valley???

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It seems most places only do orders for businesses so where do you guys go to buy a 4x8 sheet of aluminum???

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Barber Metals down in Spanish Fork is awesome! Their prices have been unbeatable from everything I've seen. We use them for everything at my work as well as several private projects @Hickey and myself have done.

They're definitely a drive from SL Valley but the prices are worth it.

N-Smooth

They DO sell to individuals....they just charge really high prices for small quantities.

oh I see. Well I'll have to call around today and see what's up. The millennial part of me is just like wait, I can't get a price online? it is the 21st century, right?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
oh I see. Well I'll have to call around today and see what's up. The millennial part of me is just like wait, I can't get a price online? it is the 21st century, right?
Sure. Onlinemetals.com is pretty easy to use, I've found better prices at Midwest though.

N-Smooth

Sure. Onlinemetals.com is pretty easy to use, I've found better prices at Midwest though.

Affiliated has a $200 minimum but with having to do my whole firewall and interior I will meet that easily. I looked on OnlineMetals for another order last week and their shipping was insane so a friend suggest Alcobra for online purchases. They were way more reasonable and I checked them for sheet and they beat Midwest by a lot- just for future reference for you. Their sheet prices for 36x48 sheets isn't bad but Affiliated still beats them, you just have to get a fullsize sheet (48x96). A 36x48 piece is barely too small for my roof panel so I'm kinda screwed there anyways and will have to make a local order regardless. It's $191 for the .125 I need for it so there's a chance I could save some money buy getting that locally and getting some 36x48" pieces from Alcobra. I need to take some measurements.

Barber Metals down in Spanish Fork is awesome! Their prices have been unbeatable from everything I've seen. We use them for everything at my work as well as several private projects @Hickey and myself have done.

They're definitely a drive from SL Valley but the prices are worth it.

I called but the guy is at lunch. Honestly I'm considering not calling back because I don't want to be tempted to drive to freakin Japanish Fork to save a few bucks haha I'd have to take a half day off from work or something.

EDIT: Triple S is special order for any Aluminum sheet at this point. He said he'd have to special order it and the tone of his voice made it very clear he didn't want to even bother.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have used metal remnants in the past. He was as cheap as anywhere and made all the cuts for me for free. A whole bunch of cuts.

N-Smooth

I have used metal remnants in the past. He was as cheap as anywhere and made all the cuts for me for free. A whole bunch of cuts.
I’ve never heard of that place. I looked up the website and will check it out more in depth tomorrow. Thanks Davy!

Metal Supermarket is always priced outrageous. I paid over $1/inch for some DOM tubing for a steering linkage. But, they had it in stock and time was money.
Yeah their thing has always been that they’ll sell you even the smallest piece and obviously that comes at a price. I used to go there pretty much every weekend back in like ‘03 and knew the manager pretty well. I haven’t been back in years because it’s changed so much.

N-Smooth

So that metal remnants place is more expensive than Affiliated but would be useful if small pieces or a lot of cuts were needed.

Have you guys tried calling Kingdon Sheet metal? I remember using them for some perforated steel on a customer's home project a few years ago.
I'll look 'em up!

Ashcat

Late to the party but....Affiliated. They never hit me with a minimum purchase although I last shopped there 2+ years ago....so? I always walked right through the front door, looked at the receptionist and said find me someone who wants to take my money. I’d go back to a cubicle and we’d hash it out until they made the numbers work. Hardest part was getting someone’s attention to fetch the order after you around the side entrance to pay.

+/- a Benjamin for any sheet of 5052 in varying thickness when I lived there. Ymmv

N-Smooth

Late to the party but....Affiliated. They never hit me with a minimum purchase although I last shopped there 2+ years ago....so? I always walked right through the front door, looked at the receptionist and said find me someone who wants to take my money. I’d go back to a cubicle and we’d hash it out until they made the numbers work. Hardest part was getting someone’s attention to fetch the order after you around the side entrance to pay.

+/- a Benjamin for any sheet of 5052 in varying thickness when I lived there. Ymmv

I'm not worried about the minimum since I need a sheet of .125 for my roof and that alone will get me to the $200 minimum.

The prices I got for 4x8 sheets of 5052 are as follows
.040 $94
.090 $135
.125 $191

cjncustoms

Nate have you tried metalmart in Lehi? That’s where I bought all of mine. They had the best price at the time.
When are you ordering? May be interested in possibly ordering a sheet.

I'm not worried about the minimum since I need a sheet of .125 for my roof and that alone will get me to the $200 minimum.

The prices I got for 4x8 sheets of 5052 are as follows
.040 $94
.090 $135
.125 $191

N-Smooth

Nate have you tried metalmart in Lehi? That’s where I bought all of mine. They had the best price at the time.
When are you ordering? May be interested in possibly ordering a sheet.

I didn't even think about Metalmart. Here's their pricing

.040 $69
.060 $91
.090 $134
.120 $171

After measuring everything I think I'm going to order to a sheet of .060 and a sheet of .120
I'm going to go with Affiliated and pay $20 more for the convenient location (straight-shot down 56th for me). I'd be glad to add a sheet to the order for you- let me know! Oh and I was thinking Monday since I'm off work and they're not.