Where to go for ring & pinion and ARB install?

193kyle

So I've got 4.88 gears, install kits, and a front ARB air locker I need installed in my 2001 Tacoma. Can anyone recommend a shop they would trust to do the install? I plan on pulling the diffs myself...

193kyle

I would love to take them to Carl, but he does not want to do anymore of the 7.5" front clamshell diffs. I believe Ryan has said the same thing...

193kyle

SixStates won't turn you away. Don't know how much I trust them or how much they charge but they will do it.

I'm not sure how much I trust sixstates either, I know someone that recently had an arb locker installed by them and they drilled the bottom of the diff for the airline....

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'm not sure how much I trust sixstates either, I know someone that recently had an arb locker installed by them and they drilled the bottom of the diff for the airline....

I didi have a bad experience with the Sixstates in Ogden but always heard good things about the one down south.

sixstringsteve

I know someone that recently had an arb locker installed by them and they drilled the bottom of the diff for the airline....

That would be me. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but it leaked oil and they JB welded around the fitting to fix it. It's still weeping a little. It's a shame that these diffs are such a pain and our best installers won't touch them (not that I blame them).

I would trust sixstates far more than gaylons. I had a friend who had Gaylons instal 4.56s in his tacoma elocker. He is not easy on his truck, and I doubt he did a gear break in process, but he blew the rear end, took it back, and blew it again within a year. John @ gaylons is super nice, and he does my driveshaft work. I would trust him to do an 8", but if I were to do it all again, I'd use East Coast Gear Supply.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
ive done several of the clamshell front diffs they are a serious pain but we have not had any issues except if you put the side sseals to deep they will leak

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So why are the clamshells such a PITA? All I know is the earlier IFS diff, and it seemed pretty straightforward in there.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Early IFS is a completely different animal. It sets up like a "normal" axle. The clamshell diff, the two halves bolt together, so each carrier bearing is in one half. That means you can't check your setup without bolting it together, which then seals it up so it's difficult to check anything. ;)

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
the new tacoma high pinion 8 inch ifs diffs are even harder, we did a ARB and 4.88's in one of those seriously more time envolved