Isuzu Where to go from here? (tie rod)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Got the new tie rods installed tonight. I had Carl tap a couple of pieces of tube, got some lock nuts and got them installed. I went with 9" but I think slightly shorter like 8 3/4" may have been better for adjust-ability.

Pic of the finished rods.

new_tie_rods.jpgNew_installed.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If it's ever a problem (and you want to take them back off) we can shorten them easily enough.

They look good, I don't think that will be your first point of failure anymore. :D Any clearance issues with the shock or tie rod endlink?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
If it's ever a problem (and you want to take them back off) we can shorten them easily enough.

They look good, I don't think that will be your first point of failure anymore. :D Any clearance issues with the shock or tie rod endlink?

I didn't notice them hitting, I believe the clearance is good. The washer I used to space the castle nut probably could have been a little thicker the cotter pin is barely catching the top of the castle nut but I think it will work. I took it for a spin out to pelican point and back and I believe I'm pretty close on alignment but I need to take it somewhere before I go too far.

Too Far

parts is parts
Your next problem is going to be the idler arm. They bend pretty easy, It won't leave you stranded but it screws with the steering on the passenger side. After that the whole center section can implode. That doesn't happen very often though. I think that if a way can be devised to put that idler arm shaft in double shear it would pretty much solve the problem.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Resurrection!
I'm thinking that this will be my next mod. What size tubing did you go with? How thick of a washer did you use or do you think I should use? Anything else I should worry about/upgrade from yours, Scott?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
The washer needs to be pretty thick, I would advise an alignment pretty quick after you do this. The rubber boots on the ends may crack if they aren't designed right, the Moog ones I got sat down further than the stock ones did to the boots needed to be trimmed a little to keep from interfering.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I can answer that one...it was 1.25" .281. In stock if you need it. :greg:

Perfect. It's bee awhile since I've given you money... err, seen you Carl. Maybe this will be a good chance to catch up! ;)

The washer needs to be pretty thick, I would advise an alignment pretty quick after you do this. The rubber boots on the ends may crack if they aren't designed right, the Moog ones I got sat down further than the stock ones did to the boots needed to be trimmed a little to keep from interfering.

I just did the ball joint flip, so it needs an alignment anyway. Figure do this and then get the alignment done right after.
Any guess on how thick "pretty think" is?