Where to go in Idaho?

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
I'm looking for some relatively easy to moderate dirt roads in Idaho. We're planning a trip there next month, but don't really know where in the state we want to know. All I know is, I'd like to see some beautiful scenery on some dirt roads. I don't really want technically difficult roads because the wife doesn't like them, but a little challenge for my stock 4runner would be okay. Any suggestions?

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
what area you headed to? Idaho is a big state.

Well, we don't know. That's why I'm trying to get some ideas from y'all. We've been to the Rexburg area, so we don't need to go back there right now, and we don't want to go all the way to the north part, so other than that, we're open to recommendations.

idahoyj

Hailey/Sun Valley/Ketchum areas are great. Further north th Stanley is great too. Also north of Boise up th McCall is a nice area without going toooo far.

flexyfool

GDW
Tetons, Yellowstone, St. Anthony Sand Dunes, Craters of the Moon, Sun Valley (Boulder Mine Trail AKA Boulder Creek Road AKA NF-158), City of Rocks

Last edited:

XJEEPER

Tetons, Yellowstone, St. Anthony Sand Dunes, Craters of the Moon, Sun Valley (Boulder Mine Trail AKA Boulder Creek Road AKA NF-158), City of Rocks

I thought City of Rocks near Malta was a Natl Reserve, with no OHV access? I love to rock climb there and having some insight on Jeep trails in the area would be an added bonus........

flexyfool

GDW
I thought City of Rocks near Malta was a Natl Reserve, with no OHV access? I love to rock climb there and having some insight on Jeep trails in the area would be an added bonus........

Only the Boulder Mine Trail and St. Anthony are OHV. Almost everything interesting in Idaho is a National Forest, Monument, etc. with nothing Utahoans would call Jeep trails. Lots of single track dirt bike stuff in the desert and in the mountains (some are very scenic and lead into high mountain lakes). Little stuff that challenges even a stock Jeep. The feds have all the challenging trails gated due to "erosion". The places I listed would be places to visit with the family and to drive BLM 2 tracks and forest service roads.

Last edited:

flexyfool

GDW
Idaho has world class hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, rafting, kayaking, fly fishing, dirt biking, cougar/bear/wolf/elk hunting. Sadly, classic Jeeping is not world class.

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
The places I listed would be places to visit with the family and to drive BLM 2 tracks and forest service roads.

Which are really the kinds of places I'm interested in for this trip with the wife...but a little bit of challenge would be nice too. We did some roads over near Silverton, Colorado that were a little hairy (for her, not for experienced folk like you) and she was okay with that, even in the rain, which of course made the road more challenging. Really, since she's disabled, I have never liked taking her places where we might get in trouble just by being there. There's always the possibility for trouble in the backcountry, but with her being disabled, I just don't like to invite it.