where to have axles checked for bent

blznnp

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to take some axle shafts to see if they are bent at all. somewhere close to herriman preferred, well, within reason.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
If you think it's bent it probay is. Is one of your hubs bound up so you can't turn it by hand anymore? Axle seal leaking? Paint cracking? Run a piece of 1 1/2 Dom through it. How does it look?

blznnp

If you think it's bent it probay is. Is one of your hubs bound up so you can't turn it by hand anymore? Axle seal leaking? Paint cracking? Run a piece of 1 1/2 Dom through it. How does it look?

this is actually on the camaro. Trying to chase down my vibration. Got a fair amount of runout on my driver site rotor, and less on the passenger side but still not good, so I want to see if its shaft related or some weird warping on the rotors. I have adjusted the pinion to different ways I read online, and seems to make not much difference, so I am changing out some axle bearings, some seals, checking the shafts, then gonna do the u joints and also check to see if my tranny output shaft might be bent, heard its some what common on t56. oh well, gonna have one of your neighbors throw it in the lathe and check it.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Take the rotors off and measure runout on the axle flanges. That would be more accurate than the rotors. If you're not happy with that then I Lean towards my neighbor's lathe. If it's straight on the lathe, but not in the axle then I would say the housing is bent. I know a place to get overly huge axles for these cars.

blznnp

Ha, I bet you do know a place. Not sure what I would do if my housing is bent. I would almost lean towards a 9" but my rear suspension is set up for 10/12 bolt or a moser rear end I believe. So I would probably go towards a 12 bolt.

blznnp

Ha, saw the notification pop up in my email with you replying to it, knew what the response was gonna be. Showed the camaro to Jimmy the other day, he asked about the Blazer to.....Ill get it done. So I can try and get it to Moab this summer, wife is already wanting to go.....she is just not sure about having the youngest with us, she thinks we will be doing vertical climbs all day. Little does she know the blazer weighs way to much for that.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm nothing if not predictable. Gotta get it done before it gets too hot in Moab! And agreed on the big climbs, you can leave those to me ;)

Ha, saw the notification pop up in my email with you replying to it, knew what the response was gonna be. Showed the camaro to Jimmy the other day, he asked about the Blazer to.....Ill get it done. So I can try and get it to Moab this summer, wife is already wanting to go.....she is just not sure about having the youngest with us, she thinks we will be doing vertical climbs all day. Little does she know the blazer weighs way to much for that.

pkrfctr

The way we check them is to jack the rear end up, have it in neutral and spin the tire by hand. We set up a fixed point on the outside of the rim while spinning. If the rim moves in and out from that fixed point then something is bent.

blznnp

The way we check them is to jack the rear end up, have it in neutral and spin the tire by hand. We set up a fixed point on the outside of the rim while spinning. If the rim moves in and out from that fixed point then something is bent.

didn't think about doing it that way, good idea. Got the axles on a lathe and they look good. gonna put it all back together and check the rotors again.