which 2nd gen cummins track bar upgrade

leorn

reset
There are a ton out there: Thueren, Lazarsmith, solid steel and many others. Some use the 3rd gen track bar, some are adjustable, some delete the ball joint, but I have no clue what the advantages/disadvantages are for my setup.

I have a 99 2500 That I intend to keep stock height/tires. It will almost exclusively live on pavement as a tow rig.

Still wanders after replacing the ball joints--looking to end that and preferably never touch the track bar again.

Do I also need to upgrade the tierod and draglink?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I replaced the one on my '01 with the bracket that lets you retrofit a stock 3rd gen bar on it. Easy to find replacement parts, and if you want an adjustable one, just buy one for a 3rd gen and bolt it on! No more tie-rod end on your track bar (they have no place on track bars in the first place...-_-)

Plus, I strongly believe that if you put the stock 3rd gen up against any aftermacket track bar, the aftermarket ones would all bend and wear out before the stocker...

Here is a link:
http://www.solidsteel.biz/tbk.htm

leorn

reset
I was curious about the lazarsmith conversion bracket. It is about $40 cheaper and alllows for use of snow plow brackets. I don't have a plow, but have toyed with the idea.
http://www.lazarsmith.com/SSSSS.html scroll down to the big red bracket.

Any strength differences between these two. Also I have heard of some interference issues with the 3rd gen bar. I can never tell if they affect me. I'm such a newb at tow rigs!

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I installed and still run the theuren unit on my dad's truck. Outstanding product, great service, and it completely resolved the issues it was installed to fix. I've been very happy with it, but I've never personally dealt with the 3rd gen conversions.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Does anyone make a similar product for TJ's (as it's the same dumb design)?

Sorry for the highjack.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
The thing i found that helped the wandering issues on my 2001 CTD was the Steering box brace i ran the one BD diesel sells and it went from chasing my truck down the road to comfortably just driving with it out being a chore

leorn

reset
update: Lazarsmith review

So I ended up getting an 07 track bar for $45 shipped to my door along with the Lazarsmith Bracket. The bushings were in great condition, so I didn't bother replacing them.

Lazarsmith comments:
In my opinion the solid steel and Lazarsmith brackets both have strengths and weaknesses.

Lazarsmith Strengths:
The Lazarsmith bracket sandwiches the frame tab (ball-stud mount)
Weaknesses:
The 3/4" bolt is bigger than the 5/8" used by solid steel, but I would rather have a cone washer. The 3/4" bolt does not fit tightly all the way through the tab. I only drilled the very end to get it to pass. A cone washer of correct pitch would be superior strength. If I feel like it is causing trouble the bracket can be welded and that will solve the issue.

The bracket at the second bolt mounting is over an inch away from the attachment point which is a weak spot in the first place. I suspect this bolt does little to secure the bracket when under stress. You're counting on the 3/4" bracket.

Solid Steel:
Strength is cone washer, an extra bolt for attachment, and the second bolt also mounts in a stronger spot as far as I can tell.
Weakness: It does not sandwich the frame tab.

Other comments:
The Lazarsmith Bracket is supposed to be powder coated. I thought that stuff was hard to chip, but I'm not familiar. It looked like and is scratched/removed like normal paint, but I don't know much about it, so I have no clue if it really is.

It took about 3 weeks to be delivered (during the holidays) and was grey in color. I guess you can choose, but I wasn't asked on the website, nor did I specify, but you can get it in different colors.

The Solid Steel bracket looks like it places the attachment further to the driver's side than the Lazarsmith bracket. I'm going to have to measure to see if the axle is still centered.

I would give the bracket a B-. I think if I bought an aftermarket bracket I would use it again since it allows for the use of a snow plow (if I ever got one). I would probably prefer to fabricate my own bracket with more bracing that is available in the aftermarket. They are all limited because they are bolt-on IMO.

*edit* I have been working on eliminating the pull to the right and straightening the steering wheel. I thought that the axle looked like it was offset and sure enough it's an inch to the passenger side, so I called Mike at Lazarsmith to see what he recommends. I was very impressed with him. We took about 15 min to discuss some options. Needless to say he was more than happy to work with me and will be resolving the issue. I will update this thread with more details as they come.

Last edited:
There are a ton out there: Thueren, Lazarsmith, solid steel and many others. Some use the 3rd gen track bar, some are adjustable, some delete the ball joint, but I have no clue what the advantages/disadvantages are for my setup.

I have a 99 2500 That I intend to keep stock height/tires. It will almost exclusively live on pavement as a tow rig.

Still wanders after replacing the ball joints--looking to end that and preferably never touch the track bar again.

Do I also need to upgrade the tierod and draglink?

who did your ball joints and about how much were they? ive gotten a quote of 1100ish Ive done 1 side and will never do it again. lol

leorn

reset
I did them. I got moog joints from rock auto.

Also I should finish this thread. Lazarsmith sent me a new bracket and I got it installed. It was still ~1/8" off 9my fault-it was built to my measurements), but I removed a spacer that was on my pass side and it was dead even. I saw a stack of them at the diesel shop and I assume they are for allignment purposes. I still need to adjust my drag link since my steering wheel is not quite straight. (really close). It still pulls a bit to the passenger side, but it's very minor. I wonder if it'll straighten out once I fix the drag link.

One last comment is that the bracket drops the trac bar a bit and it is no longer parallel with the drag link. If you had an adjustable track bar you could put it in the top hole and be much closer. Can any link experts tell me what this affects?