Which axles?

Cascadia

Undecided
I've got a 93 stretched yj on 37's. It's got a ford 8.8 rear in it right now but I've got a guy that wants it. I'm wondering which axle to replace it with. I eventually want to get a kingpin 60 for the front. But what to get for the rear...60, 9 inch, 14 bolt? Which would be better? Are there any that have similar wms to wms to the dana 30? Anyone have one and how much? Right now It's set up for spring over but might go to 4 link soon.

Toad

I cant think of anything that is similar to your 30. I would say 14 bolt cheap. easy to set up, super strong. Shave the bottom for clearance. Ford 9" is also cheap and plentiful. With the right amount of money can be a killer axle. Super low pinion angle and the stock dropouts just are not that strong.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you're going to a front 60, then a 14 bolt or D60 in the rear makes more sense, to keep the 8 lug wheel bolt pattern.

If you choose the 60, plan on upgrading the shafts to 35 spline. If you choose the 14 bolt, plan on shaving the crap out of it.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
D60's....I went the ford 9 route, then ended up building a d60 later, its ok up to 37's...but you know you will end up with 40plus...we all do it, then you will wish you went d60.. you can then upgrade the shafts if you go bigger.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Even with all of the recommendations above, there still isn't a stout junk yard rear axle that is readily available that matches the width of your front 30. Your only width-matching option is to custom build one (or have someone do it for you,) or find one that is already done. But, they do pop up for sale from time to time. Also, if you're not replacing both axles at the same time, plan on having to run different wheels on your new rear axle to match the bolt pattern.

Cascadia

Undecided
This whole thread might be void now because someone might want to buy my whole jeep. But either way, all of the info goes for my unlimited lj too which I am doing the same thing to. Probably going to go with the clayton off road long arm upgrade kit unless anyone has complaints about them. I've herad all good things so far. Still trying to find the right dana 60 front though...if anyone has one cut down to width let me know. Preferrably 4.56's but with my luck no one has one at all.

Last edited:

outlaw_offroad

XJ Pride!!!
There are some crazy 14 bolts that are really narrow. They came in vans, cube trucks, etc. I know you probably would not go this far to get parts, but give Charlie at Aggressive Auto Salvage in Rapid City, SD a call. He is a wealth of information on parts interchange and doesn't mind shooting the breeze about your rig or build. Heck, he may even be able to get a narrow 14-bolt on a truck headed this way for cheap.

One option for your rearend is a D44 out of a XJ, Rodeo, FSJ, etc. These are stronger than most jeep rearends and the right width. They are readily available and cheap, as well. They are by no means "bomb proof" but they can be upgraded to to handle 37" tires and larger.