Which canyon to find a few rocks?

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
I tried googling this and I am either really dumb, or this just isnt well known, or both.

I would like to drive up one of these fine canyons we live near and grab a few rocks and/or small boulders to use for landscaping around my house. Now I am not thinking of filling in a 3000 foot driveway or anything like that, just enough rock to fill up the bottom of a truck bed and place a few here and there for spice.

Which canyons if any would have a problem with this??? I mean are the rocks a protected "species" and I cant have them much like the forest service doesnt want me coming in and clearing out 2500 acres of trees??? I dont know. I just dont want to go up with a friend and start throwing rocks in the bed then right as the tail gate slams shut Johnny law wants me to put them back where I found them.

Any recommendations? Suggestions? Thank you in advance.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I tried googling this and I am either really dumb, or this just isnt well known, or both.

I would like to drive up one of these fine canyons we live near and grab a few rocks and/or small boulders to use for landscaping around my house. Now I am not thinking of filling in a 3000 foot driveway or anything like that, just enough rock to fill up the bottom of a truck bed and place a few here and there for spice.

Which canyons if any would have a problem with this??? I mean are the rocks a protected "species" and I cant have them much like the forest service doesnt want me coming in and clearing out 2500 acres of trees??? I dont know. I just dont want to go up with a friend and start throwing rocks in the bed then right as the tail gate slams shut Johnny law wants me to put them back where I found them.

Any recommendations? Suggestions? Thank you in advance.
I don't think that's legal on any federal land without a permit. I could be wrong though. I definately think Johnny Law would ticket you heavily for that in any of the local canyons. Have you looked at the prices of rock? They're very reasonable. :)

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Its not necesarily the price. Its about getting a rock that I found and took home while camping or fishing, or whatever. I guess its mroe point than anything. I could easily drive to state stone and buy them, and chances are I would spend more in my oil burner drivign to find rock, but again its just the point that I cant do somethign as absurd as taking home a rock.

So how do I find out if a canyon or area is federally protected?

Big cottonwood, American Fork, 5 mile, etc.???

I used to take home tiny rocks all the time, I just had to pry them out of my treads so I didnt chip anyones windhshield. :)

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I don't think that's legal on any federal land without a permit. I could be wrong though. I definately think Johnny Law would ticket you heavily for that in any of the local canyons. Have you looked at the prices of rock? They're very reasonable. :)

x2

I had a friend get a fine for removing rocks from BLM land

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
you can get a permit for about $20 bucks to take as much rock as you can carry in a truck from a little quarry down in the San Rafael....

Other than that, I have no idea.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Where do you draw the line? Do you want lines of dump trucks excavating the rocks in the canyons and selling them for landscaping? If it's legal for one person to do it, it's legal for everyone, and the canyons would look like hell. JMHO. :)

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
That makes sense. I digress, I will just head on over to State Stone and see whaat they got.

Hey Cody I hear you have gravel for me spread out all over your place, I will be over this weekend to fill up my truck! :rofl:

Where do you draw the line? Do you want lines of dump trucks excavating the rocks in the canyons and selling them for landscaping? If it's legal for one person to do it, it's legal for everyone, and the canyons would look like hell. JMHO. :)

It's legal for personal use, and there's a weight limit, but I'm not sure of the total. If you load up half a pick-up bed, you're ok (on both FS and BLM property). If you start doing it every weekend or using a dumptruck, you'll get busted.

I've been landscape "rock hunting" with several land managers.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
There are tons of places that will give you rock for free, Just go up on the bench where they are putting in a new subdivison and ask the excavators for a couple loads. If not BMW stone in browns canyon up by oakley will sell it to you buy the ton for cheeeeeep.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Didn't they start putting GPS in cactus because peeps were harvesting them from the AZ deserts to landscape their yards?

KWight

Here in Colorado on Federal lands (Forest Service and BLM) a person can get a 5 gallon bucket load without a permit. I took the kids up and each had their 5 gallon bucket to fill. We can also buy permits for $15-$20 per one ton load of rocks.

Kevin

jp008

There are some nice yellow colored ones in Moab.....you can usually find them near a cave like structure. (kidding) Get a permit or find someone you know with private land and harvest from there.

Bodine

One Call That's All
I picked up a few ton of rock for my yard on BLM ground. I had to buy a permit at the BLM office just north of the E center. They have several locations to get rock here is more info http://geology.utah.gov/surveynotes/gladasked/gladscaperock2.htm
I called the FS a few years back about getting some LS rock up Big Cottonwood I forget the gathering time frame but I remember them saying the permits sale fast. You will also need hand tools so the size of rock you get depends on how large of rock you can carry. Good luck