Which Dana 60 MFG????

fire4j15

I have a 06' Rubicon Unlimited with a CRD60 Rear and a front rubicon dana
44. I've been looking online and trying to decide which mfg makes the best and strongest Dana 60. Would prefer a kingpin design. Going to be running
40" tires. If money is no object which mfg would you chose.
Dynatrac,Solid,Teraflex,Currie,Spidertrax and others. If anyone has first hand knowledge of these axles please post. Looking to order one in the next month.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I really like the Solid inner knuckles... their outers are freakin' sweet too, but they rape you on the keyed arms and caps... and they may or may not be staying in business...

after that I like Crane, because I like the owner.. and after that Dedenbear, because they work and don't cost 4 million bucks.

If money was no object I'd probably get a Crane.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think most aftermarket center sections are fairly even across the board. I did like the rotated diff cover of my CRD, there were plenty of scrape marks on the bottom of the diff, where a standard housing would be taking that abuse on the diff cover seam.

I like to support the local 4x4 businesses, so here's my suggestion. Teraflex uses balljoint knuckles most of the time and I know you want kingpins, so here's my thought. I would have Teraflex build you a Tera CRD60 housing with Crane knuckles that you provide. I had Teraflex Mfg build my CRD60 front axle with Dodge kingpin knuckles. They were great to work with too.

I don't know if this will help you any but here's my CRD60 axle build thread- http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?p=440202

fire4j15

I think most aftermarket center sections are fairly even across the board. I did like the rotated diff cover of my CRD, there were plenty of scrape marks on the bottom of the diff, where a standard housing would be taking that abuse on the diff cover seam.

I like to support the local 4x4 businesses, so here's my suggestion. Teraflex uses balljoint knuckles most of the time and I know you want kingpins, so here's my thought. I would have Teraflex build you a Tera CRD60 housing with Crane knuckles that you provide. I had Teraflex Mfg build my CRD60 front axle with Dodge kingpin knuckles. They were great to work with too.

I don't know if this will help you any but here's my CRD60 axle build thread- http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?p=440202

I do have a pair of Solid axle inner knuckles and outer knuckles that are freakin awesome. So could Teraflex use my Solid knuckles and build me a kingpin CRD60???

fire4j15

Can I ask you what it cost to build? I have a $7,000 budget.

Greg

Admin
I do have a pair of Solid axle inner knuckles and outer knuckles that are freakin awesome. So could Teraflex use my Solid knuckles and build me a kingpin CRD60???

I don't see why they couldn't, but I can't speak for them. Best thing to do would be to call Tera Mfg and ask about putting together a custom axle for you.

Those Solid knuckles are great parts too, that would be a killer axle! :cool:

fire4j15

If you have to ask.... ;) You should be well within your budget. The folks at Tera Mfg could give you some exact #'s.

I looked at your 60 build. Very cool. Anything you would do different now or has it been perfect? One other thing. I plan to drive it on the road a lot. Would Warn hubs be a better option then slugs?

Greg

Admin
I looked at your 60 build. Very cool. Anything you would do different now or has it been perfect? One other thing. I plan to drive it on the road a lot. Would Warn hubs be a better option then slugs?

I liked that axle is it was. I had it built at 64" wide WMS-WMS and it was a tad wide to be street legal in Utah. My wheels had minimal backspacing too, so that didn't help. If you build it 62-64" wide and run wheels with decent backspacing, you should be close to legal.

I ran Warn Premium 35 spline hubs and never had an issue, even with heavy 40" tires and a V8 under the hood, I never broke anything. I was running chromo inner shafts, and non-chomo outer 35 spline shafts and an ARB. It was a good setup, I liked the strength and the ability to unlock the front axle when a locker wasn't needed. I think that saved a lot of wear & tear on the shafts, joints and hubs. I also liked being able to unlock the hubs and hit the street. My TJ wasn't freeway-friendly, but it did get driven around town often.

fire4j15

I liked that axle is it was. I had it built at 64" wide WMS-WMS and it was a tad wide to be street legal in Utah. My wheels had minimal backspacing too, so that didn't help. If you build it 62-64" wide and run wheels with decent backspacing, you should be close to legal.

I ran Warn Premium 35 spline hubs and never had an issue, even with heavy 40" tires and a V8 under the hood, I never broke anything. I was running chromo inner shafts, and non-chomo outer 35 spline shafts and an ARB. It was a good setup, I liked the strength and the ability to unlock the front axle when a locker wasn't needed. I think that saved a lot of wear & tear on the shafts, joints and hubs. I also liked being able to unlock the hubs and hit the street. My TJ wasn't freeway-friendly, but it did get driven around town often.

How does the CRD60 stack up against Dynatrac,Currie and the others?

Greg

Admin
How does the CRD60 stack up against Dynatrac,Currie and the others?

I think they're all pretty similar as far as housings go, but I've never had a Dynatrac, Currie, etc axle. Just a Tera CRD 60. I know there are a lot of comp guys that run Tera CRD 60's, I believe Tracy Jordan does, the guys at Ben Hanks Racing use them, etc.

fire4j15

I think they're all pretty similar as far as housings go, but I've never had a Dynatrac, Currie, etc axle. Just a Tera CRD 60. I know there are a lot of comp guys that run Tera CRD 60's, I believe Tracy Jordan does, the guys at Ben Hanks Racing use them, etc.

My rear CRD60 has been great so far. Here is a link to that build done by Teraflex. just copy and paste.
http://www.teraflexplus.com/2008/05/19/dave-call

fire4j15

I really like the Solid inner knuckles... their outers are freakin' sweet too, but they rape you on the keyed arms and caps... and they may or may not be staying in business...

after that I like Crane, because I like the owner.. and after that Dedenbear, because they work and don't cost 4 million bucks.

If money was no object I'd probably get a Crane.

Anyone else have any info on different Dana 60 axles? What they like and dislike?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Why not just build a Dana/Spicer built 60 up and spend the rest of that $7000 on a bunch of real nice wheeling vacations? A nice Ford hipinion axle cut to your specs and a locker and gears of your choice will hold up fine.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
One thing I have to add is the CRD uses a larger pinion bearing. Since it's larger, it's also hard to get and when you do, they are expensive - roughly $100 if I remember right. Me personally, I don't like custom one off stuff like that. If it breaks in the middle of God's country, you're SOL. You might not be able to find a regular D60 pinion bearing, but you are more likely to find it other than the CRD one.

fire4j15

One thing I have to add is the CRD uses a larger pinion bearing. Since it's larger, it's also hard to get and when you do, they are expensive - roughly $100 if I remember right. Me personally, I don't like custom one off stuff like that. If it breaks in the middle of God's country, you're SOL. You might not be able to find a regular D60 pinion bearing, but you are more likely to find it other than the CRD one.

Thanks, just doing my home work on what kind of options are out there. Like to hear from people who have first hand knowledge before I make the purchase. I want the strongest front axle I can get. Something that would make it through king of the hammers.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Thanks, just doing my home work on what kind of options are out there. Like to hear from people who have first hand knowledge before I make the purchase. I want the strongest front axle I can get. Something that would make it through king of the hammers.

From what I know about it, it's a good, strong, axle. The housing is very rigid as well.

A stock HPD60 out of a 88 F350 woudl make it through the KOH.... But it's not blingy... But there is a reason they are used in a lot of rigs...

N8RB8R

X2 I Run that setup and have been running it with fortys on an 05 LJ Love it! If your running coil springs I would go at least 65" wm to wm wide, mine is 63" and the coils are kicked in on an angle to clear the knuckles and they rub everywhere!