Which engine swap is better?

cntryman78

work in progress
I am looking at swapping either a supra motor or a 4.3 v-6 into my 85 runner cause it just doesnt go to well on the freeway over the point of the mountain which i have to do everyday to go to work.. so i am looking for info as to what has been done and the outcomes as far as time and cost and results. I guess i just want as much info as i can get from people that know more than me..
Thanks for the info in advance

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Everything I have read on the swaps, the 7m swap is the way to go.

The 4.3 guys will say 4.3, the toyota guys will say 7m, or 7mgt... I would say better overall driveability with the 7m, and better mpg than the 4.3. While the 4.3 is a great motor, tends to drink as bad as its big brother the 5.7.

And for that matter, the difference between a 4.3 swap and a 5.7 swap is negliglible enough, it almost makes as much sense to do a TBI or Vortec 3fiddy if you are head down the Chevyota path.

Just what I have read....from others that have done similar, be the donor a Volvo, or a 4runner.

(this is just my opinion, I have yet to swap anything other than stock to stock)

Last edited:

richpblaze

If I were to do it again

I would go with aleast a 350 Vortec. I have done the 4.3 vortec I love the power which it has plenty. I have the high output 4.3. I will be changing out to an LS2 in the next year or two. Why, for the the sound and some more power. I am running Dana 60's with 42'S. It really deepends on what you want. I do have all the Downey adapters for sale which will be everything you need for a 700R4 or 4L60E to Toyota tranfer case.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
I am looking at swapping either a supra motor or a 4.3 v-6 into my 85 runner cause it just doesnt go to well on the freeway over the point of the mountain which i have to do everyday to go to work.. so i am looking for info as to what has been done and the outcomes as far as time and cost and results. I guess i just want as much info as i can get from people that know more than me..
Thanks for the info in advance

I would say buy a commuter car. To me reliability is everything in something that you drive everyday, and swapping motors takes alot of time to get right. Save the runner for weekends and get a geo or something to commute.