Which inline fuel pump--TBI 4.3?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Just like the title says....I need to get an inline fuel pump for my TBI 4.3. Preferably a stock-type application, rather than a "performance" one. (I know I can get one from Howell, etc.)

So, what vehicles have a TBI system, and an inline fuel pump?

Caleb

If you want I will check my van that I pulled my TBI4.3 out of tomorrow and see if it has an inline pump...if so its yours(if you want it)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by supergper
If you want I will check my van that I pulled my TBI4.3 out of tomorrow and see if it has an inline pump...if so its yours(if you want it)

As far as I know none of the 4.3 TBI vans had inline pumps, they were all in-tank units. I was able to gather a list of possible TBI swap fuel pumps that we used on our 2F TBI install. I think the easiest by far was just going to AutoZone and ordering a E8153 (?? I think that is the one, I will check). This pump is inline, 3/8" fittings, 12V and provides 10-14 psi as I recall. The list it as a universal TBI replacement pump. There is also one that has a slightly higher psi and has 5/16" fittings but it is double the price...

There are alot of people that swear by different inline F150 pumps, saab pumps, suburu pumps...etc, but the AZ one worked fine for us...

Call me if you need any more info on this Carl... I have quite a bit of data written down about the pumps.

good luck!

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by Jeremy
88 ford F-250 or 350 from autozone, make sure you put a big filter inline between the tank and pump.

Really? I've always been told the filter goes AFTER the pump, since it has a harder time drawing fuel through a filter.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It really depends on your set-up, we had several FI pros tell us to install a fuel filter before and after the pump. You usually will only run one after the pump but they recommend one before the pump due to the fact that our gas tanks are not always new and clean as a FI vehicles would be. On our FJ60 TBI conversion we just flushed the stock tank really, really good and cleaned out all of the factory lines that we were re-using. We installed a fuel filter in between the TBI unit and the pump and it seems to be functioning properly. This system has only been installe for months so it is hard to tell how long it will last but it should be ok...

AFAIK...the F250, F350 inline pumps are more around 40+ psi... soem say this is ok with a TBI unit because the regualator will reduce the pressure at the unit, others say that this will cause premature failure of the pump...no one has had them installed ofr long enough to really tell...

BTW you can ask to look at AutoZone's papre catalog for all of the specs. on the different pumps... it will tell you the psi. ranges.. the style of pump... etc... Good Luck:D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Damn, that sucks! That was really me posting, not Von. (using the same computer here at the shop, didn't remember to log out)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Jeremy
Even with a new cell, even the smallest of particles will fubar a 100 dollar pump very quickly.

Hence buying the pump at AZ or someother chain store... lifetime warranty baby :D :D :D

AZ has a 90 day warranty on EVERYTHING in the store and then most hard parts (brakes, alts, starters, etc.) have a lifetiem warranty... gives me a peice of mind... though I should carry a spare:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Greg
AZ lifetime warranty means..... You'll be replacing that one part the rest of your Lifetime!

Hey, hey hey...Although alot of their parts are junk, some of their parts are excellent. Fuel pumps for example are manufactured by Master...they have been around for years....very good product with a very small defect rate... AZ brakepads on the otherhand..manufactured by Albany...JUNK!!! While working there I really learned what was good vs. bad just by watching what was bought and returned...same goes for parts we bought from other retailers...checker, pepboys, napa, etc... IMHO:D

BTW...Almost every large auto-parts store has lifetime warranteed fuel pumps so you should be covered...

Vonski

nothing to see here...
We got it from Checker instead of AZ, but yes it's the E8153, by Master. Looks like it'll work, but of course we don't know for sure yet.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
I have first hand experience with both the F250 style pumps and the other lower pressure pumps. First of all,I would recommend running the pump in the tank if at all possible, It's not that hard to build a bracket and bring the feed line out of the sender. The AZ pumps that me and my 2 friends in Arizona had experience with generally last a little over a year...and thats it no warning signs usually they just die. I am currently running a 60 psi pump from Arizona TPI on my 4.3. As a chevy tech I feel confident saying the added pressure does no harm. all unused fuel is returned back to the tank. Now think about this, if you can fab up a bracket for inside your tank you could get a pump for say a 95 C/K truck with a K for 30 BUCKS!! 40 from ACdelco. Not only is it cheaper, but it will provide you with years of reliability. IMHO...
I am currently building a bracket to put a pump and sock inside of my fuel cell. Sorry this was so long.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by BBowski82
... 30 BUCKS!! 40 from ACdelco. Not only is it cheaper, but it will provide you with years of reliability. IMHO...
I am currently building a bracket to put a pump and sock inside of my fuel cell. Sorry this was so long.

Now you got me interested. I though about an in-tank pump for a couple different reason...

My tank is a brand new unit... zero rust...
I could easily build a suction unit for the tank...
The pump is more efficient pushing then pulling fuel...

Has anyone ever done this and any pictures... i have heard alot of talk about doing this but never any picts....

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Vonski
We got it from Checker instead of AZ, but yes it's the E8153, by Master. Looks like it'll work, but of course we don't know for sure yet.

We've been running the Master E8153 on a DD/Weekend wheeler for about two months now... so far so good. I'll keep you posted...:D

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
What kind of vehicle is this going in?? I have done 2 before....really easy, especially when you modify a factory fuel pump sender bracket (I have access to some of these if you are interested)
It is not a hard project at all, just a couple measurements, a drilled hole a new sender gasket and a tack weld and your done. Easy Cheesy. B