Which OBA?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The vehicle: 04 Rubicon, 39's, 1 ton'a, ARB's...
The problem: I'm doing a GM LS V8 conversion and will be loosing my York! :eek:

Requirements:
at least 100 psi to run the lockers
high flow at 0-30 psi
high duty cycle so I can run lockers and air up 4 39" tires quickly

ARB specs
http://arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/airCompressors/airCompressorTechSpecifications.pdf
QuickAir specs
http://www.sunperformance.com/html/products/quick_air_pcc_charts.html

Soooo.... What should I replace the York with? Obviously I need something that I can mount somewhere on a space limited Jeep, run the lockers and be able to air up the tires after a trail run.

Right now I'm leaning towards running 2 ARB CKMA12's and T them together. One compressor will only be for lockers and both will be used for airing up tires. Two should get me about 4.5 CFM at 30 psi.

Thoughts? Am I missing another way?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I run the Viair 550C in my LJ. If memory serves me correctly, it's very close to the flows you want, and it's rated for continuous duty. Then I installed a good sized tank (AKA an old fire extinguisher), and it's served me well. You probably have connections, but I found the cheapest place to get it was a low rider shop in Cali. (I'm at work, so I don't have a link for ya).

Two ARB's would be nice, if nothing else just for the redundancy. Do you have room under the hood to install two? The 550C was tight, but it fit nicely. I have a pic at home, but it's right under the brake booster, on the back of the left inner fenderwell. If you have anti-lock brakes this location won't work though.

DAA

I'm running two el-cheapo MV50's under the hood of my TJ. About the same size and CFM as the ARB's. Works great for my application, which is just filling tires. But my tires are a lot smaller than 39's... I'm totally happy with my fill times now (31's fill from 14 to 34 psi in 70 seconds each). But 39's... I dunno... I might be looking for more CFM. Those Warn compressors put out some really impressive flow. But they are way expensive, and I'm not sure you could even fit one under the hood.

With the two compressor setup I have, If I had ARB lockers, I'd likely plumb a small tank into the system to take care of them (I already have a pressure switch). Or, just get the mini ARB compressor and dedicate it to the lockers, leaving the other two for tires but able to handle the lockers if needed.

Pic of my MV50 setup, one on the ABS tray and one on the fender:

IMG_1750.jpg

Quick connects mounted inside by each of the door straps:

IMG_1745.jpg

- DAA

pennieslj

It is what it is.
Why not C02 with the ARB set up...?

I have a 15# co2 tank. It works great for me with 35's, but last time out on a full tank I filled 8 35's and 4 41's and it pretty much emptied the tank. With 39's, running the ARB's, and helping others out, I think you'd be refilling the tank a lot.
My .02

Bart

Just a little information about running a tank with a compressor. We did tests last spring in Idaho with Kilby Enterprises and a group of industry people. Tanks work great for short bursts, but when running tools and filling tires, you'll get more pressure running straight from the compressor. I was surprised when we came up with that result, but it makes sense when you think about it.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Why not C02 with the ARB set up...?
Would need to be refilled way to often with 39's...

Is there not a york setup for the LS?
To my knowledge, no.. Only pre Vortec, like 96 and older I think it is.

I run the Viair 550C in my LJ. If memory serves me correctly, it's very close to the flows you want, and it's rated for continuous duty. Then I installed a good sized tank (AKA an old fire extinguisher), and it's served me well. You probably have connections, but I found the cheapest place to get it was a low rider shop in Cali. (I'm at work, so I don't have a link for ya).

Two ARB's would be nice, if nothing else just for the redundancy. Do you have room under the hood to install two? The 550C was tight, but it fit nicely. I have a pic at home, but it's right under the brake booster, on the back of the left inner fenderwell. If you have anti-lock brakes this location won't work though.
Forgot about Viair's... I can't find the 550C specs as it's not on their site anymore. But I looked at the others and compared pricing, and the Viairs are expensive compared to the ARB and don't really have better numbers.

Just a little information about running a tank with a compressor. We did tests last spring in Idaho with Kilby Enterprises and a group of industry people. Tanks work great for short bursts, but when running tools and filling tires, you'll get more pressure running straight from the compressor. I was surprised when we came up with that result, but it makes sense when you think about it.

That is interesting.... I have a tank, but it's still brand new in the box :D

I can do two ARB CKMA12's for $400 - tough to beat that. Granted, they are a 50% duty cycle, but I doubt they'd ever need to run for longer than 30 minutes?

Bart

Kilby makes a bracket that may work for that application and retain the A/C, but there are so many variations of the SBC and V6 Chev motors that it wasn't cost effecting to make brackets for all of them.