Which Should I build for 4x4n? '82 CJ8 or '00XJ

99RedTJ

Ive got a 2000 XJ, a 1982 CJ8 scrambler. I have been researching a lift for my cherokee and although this is a cj forum I am curious which vehicle would be best to lift.

I have a 4:1 dana 300 already, 33" tires, It has a V8, 5spd, ps, 4.10 gears, half cab, no rust etc. U can take the top off too, thats always a plus. I also have a 2000 XJ which i really like as a daily driver but I've thought about building it too.

The XJ is stock, needs a lift, sye, driveshaft, gears, (got the tires,wheels), lockers, etc. I lke that the XJ is like a new car, power windows, 4 doors, etc and already has some body damage, but its a unibody and will never wheel like a framed jeep.

The thing that bugs me about the CJ8 is the length and the extra overhang on the back but it seems like I could do more with one of them when it comes to lifting/building.

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
nothing will piss off people more then to bob the back of a rust free scramber right off. Thats what I would do!:D Then use the wheel base and some huge meats and beat on it till you break stuff, then when you break stuff replace it with bigger stuff.

Bart

Likewise, I'd love to build an 8. It will be more durable in the long run if you plan to wheel hard. On the other hand you can do a lot with an XJ, but I'd still bob the 8 and build it. It sounds like you have more parts for it anyway.

ewander

I bet your frame will crack on the CJ before the XJ's unibody. I love the classic lines of the CJ8, but working on old junk gets old......is the CJ8 fuel injected? Heck, I would probably build them both.....spend all my time working on them and only actually wheel on the web....wait a minute that's pretty much what I do now:eek:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
bobdog said:
I would take that bet anyday.

ditto.

plus worse case senario, replace the frame, I dont think they sell aftermarket replacement frame for a uni-body :D

oh yeah,

build the 8... I love mine...

ewander

My 82 CJ7's frame has cracked and broken several times, whilst my XJ is clean as can be, both have been wheeled fairly hard. The CJ is still getting it done though....a new Frame for a CJ8 or even 7 for that matter runs more than picking up a used 91-96 XJ....I guess it doesn't matter, Bob I know you are made of money.