Which smart phone?

Paul R

I have been using the G1 for a couple days now and I am still trying to decide whether I am going to keep it or not. The actual device leaves a lot to be desired, but I hope that the OS keeps going. I really liked my BB Pearl and would have tried a BB Storm if it was offered through T-mobile.

(I'll have the G1 with me on Friday so you can check it out. I also have my old Pearl if you want to use it for a bit).

projektdotnet

Cruiserhead
Played with Android OS on the OpenMoko Neo FreeRunner phone, no soft-keyboard so couldn't SMS and without the 4 buttons couldn't do anything but that OS looks sweet, kinda makes me want to buy one of them when I have a job again.

Also might I actually suggest against the OpenMoko Neo FreeRunner. Overpriced, annoying GSM buzzing on every call, PITA to SMS, etc. I hope they fix the issues so I can use the one I wasted my money on.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I went and looked at it (the BB Storm) the afternoon it came out and it is pretty sweet. I wish it were a little bit thinner, but I think that about a lot of things ;)

They told me they could have one ordered and in my hands in a day or two....and I could renew for the same price as the 2 year renewals. I'm thinking about it.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
What didn't you like about the Iphone?

A few things. First, from what I'm told the way my work email works I couldn't use it on the iphone--so thats pointless. You can't get picture messages without going to a website and putting in a password. I can't get it for Verizon, whom I'm quite fond of overall. I have no desire to play a bunch of dumb games on my phone. And I generally don't like cod-piece type of social status gadgets that people get because they are the new in thing and not because they are really that cool. It's not cool because it's so freakin useful, it's cool because everyone has it and apple is viewed as the new hip brand.

I was playing pool last night with 3 buddies, and the entire time that they weren't actually making a shot, they were all playing some stupid fishing game. so I'm sitting there as they all fake cast, and sit there and do circles on their screen to real in the fish. It's almost as embarrassing as it is unbelievable that that could be entertaining.

Last edited:

Paul R

A few things. First, from what I'm told the way my work email works I couldn't use it on the iphone--so thats pointless. You can't get picture messages without going to a website and putting in a password. I can't get it for Verizon, whom I'm quiet fond of overall. I have no desire to play a bunch of dumb games on my phone. And I generally don't like cod-piece type of social status gadgets that people get because they are the new in thing and not because they are really that cool. It's not cool because it's so freakin useful, it's cool because everyone has it and apple is viewed as the new hip brand.

I was playing pool last night with 3 buddies, and the entire time that they weren't actually making a shot, they were all playing some stupid fishing game. so I'm sitting there as they all fake cast, and sit there and do circles on their screen to real in the fish. It's almost as embarrassing as it is unbelievable that that could be entertaining.

I have heard nothing but good things about the actual phone itself... So other than the email potentially not working and the network, most of your dislikes are social? I could care less about perceived status or video games I just want a strong phone with a good calendar and scheduling app and real internet. The G1 has some great apps and will undoubtedly have even more, but the phone is super cheap.

Any one have experience positive or negative about unlocking the Iphone and running on T-mobile?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You should have cracked them all across the head with that pool cue. Cellphone games are for... extended trips to the bathroom, or insufferable seatmates on a long flight, NOT the bar, damnit.

They need readjustment, Apple has obviously corrupted their sense of right and wrong.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Also, a good friend of mine just switched from a Sony walkman phone, to a Pearl, then to an iPhone about a month later and he absolutely loves the iphone. He doesn't seem to care that he now has to walk outside of his house to talk on the phone since it doesn't get reception where he lives (basement apartment). The other two phones worked fine down there.

so ya, I guess other than the fact that I can't get my work email sent straight to my phone, can't receive picture messages like every other phone built in the last 3-4 years, and like to actually be able to talk, my reason is social

So I guess maybe I should ask you. What other features of the iphone are desireable enough to look past it's shoddy reception, poor email support, and rediculous multimedia message process?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
If you (or anyone) does decide to get the BlackBerry storm, you will not get it in a day or two at this point. Orders taken today will ship about the middle of December.

Caleb

Also, a good friend of mine just switched from a Sony walkman phone, to a Pearl, then to an iPhone about a month later and he absolutely loves the iphone. He doesn't seem to care that he now has to walk outside of his house to talk on the phone since it doesn't get reception where he lives (basement apartment). The other two phones worked fine down there.

so ya, I guess other than the fact that I can't get my work email sent straight to my phone, can't receive picture messages like every other phone built in the last 3-4 years, and like to actually be able to talk, my reason is social

So I guess maybe I should ask you. What other features of the iphone are desireable enough to look past it's shoddy reception, poor email support, and rediculous multimedia message process?
I don't know, comparing my iPhone to my BB Curve on Verizon, my iphone kicks it's butt in email integration (BES sucks), reception (Verizon is horrible at my house and at my office), and overall usability. I'm with you on the games though. I have found several useful apps that I use almost daily for server administration and network troubleshooting. WiFi is nice but I rarely use it. Overall though, of all the Smart Phones I have had (Treo, several Blackberries, and now the iPhone) the iPhone, IMO, is by far the best phone. I never purchased the first gen iPhone because it didn't have what I wanted (3G) so it's not a status symbol, social icon, etc thing for me. In fact I try and keep it put away. :) The one thing the blackberry kicks the iphone's butt on is battery life. My iPhone has to be charged each night. If I have a busy day on the phone it will completely wipe the battery out. My blackberry curve can go for almost a week on each charge.

Caleb

Any one have experience positive or negative about unlocking the Iphone and running on T-mobile?

Yes, I did it for my wife's uncle. They have it so streamlined that it's a matter of clicking a button and letting it do it's thing. He's using his iPhone on Tmobile without any complaints. (His is a first gen though)

Paul R

Yes, I did it for my wife's uncle. They have it so streamlined that it's a matter of clicking a button and letting it do it's thing. He's using his iPhone on Tmobile without any complaints. (His is a first gen though)

Thats cool it was able to use the internet right? Do you happen to know which data plan he used?