Which Tire Deflator to get?

DsmRacing

I wanted to get a set of automatic (adj) tire deflators. I found a few, but many had horrible reviews. For example, smittbilt, tuff stuff, and CSI C59000; which got one good review after he changed to a softer spring.

So, are the Staun the best ones? $69 is the best I've seen if that's the case. What are you guys using and where to get them?

Thanks,

Chad

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm a big fan of the EZ-Deflators, several companies brand them such as ARB, Currie and Teraflex. I can air down 4 tires from say 30psi to 15psi with one EZ-Deflator faster than my Stauns. Stauns are great, if you always air down to the same pressure, which I often don't. Sand and snow I might go down to 7-8, rocks I might go down to 10-12, rocky roads I might just do 20. Flexibility is key for my needs.

e-z_tire_deflator.jpg

Where to get it? In stock and can ship as soon as tomorrow :D
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/accessories.html

DsmRacing

So how do the $10 ones work? There just open right and u have to have a gauge on top to figure out tire pressure? Or am I missing something?

sixstringsteve

So how do the $10 ones work? There just open right and u have to have a gauge on top to figure out tire pressure? Or am I missing something?

That's right. you screw them on and they start letting out air untill you remove them. you can use a pressure gauge on them while they're deflating. I recommend a tire gauge meant for low pressures.(0-20psi).

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
id just get a core tool, their cheap and quick you dont have a gauge but after a few times you can guess almost right on with out having to keep putting it back in

Bart

Assuming your tires are equal pressure when you start, you just put a release on each valve stem. Then you bs with a friend a bit and check the one you started with periodically. You just use a gauge on the release itself. I go around the Jeep a few times but they all seem to drop pressure about the same. Once the first one gets to where I want it, I take them off in the same order I put them on, checking each one. Pretty simple and easy.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Assuming your tires are equal pressure when you start, you just put a release on each valve stem. Then you bs with a friend a bit and check the one you started with periodically. You just use a gauge on the release itself. I go around the Jeep a few times but they all seem to drop pressure about the same. Once the first one gets to where I want it, I take them off in the same order I put them on, checking each one. Pretty simple and easy.

this.

or just continually air up because my old swampers won't hold air for more than a week, or............... something :ugh: :rofl:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i've always used the currie air down tool. it's just like the arb one kurt posted. when i bought mine 6 years ago it was like $60 but now 4wp has them for around $20. simple, effective and cheap. i use it and then throw it to my buddies to use

sixstringsteve

Is there any disadvantage to removing the valve cores and re-installing them over and over? Seems like a good cheap idea. I like being able to do all 4 at once with my deflators, but I may start recommending the valve core remover idea in the future.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Is there any disadvantage to removing the valve cores and re-installing them over and over? Seems like a good cheap idea. I like being able to do all 4 at once with my deflators, but I may start recommending the valve core remover idea in the future.

I bought my valve core tool in a kit with a half dozen valve cores included, I haven't ever had an issue and I got 6 spares in the glove box if needed.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The EZ-Deflators remove the valve core, that's why they air down the tire so fast. They also keep it contained, so you can't lose it in the dirt. ;) It's my preference.

The little screw-on ones like the Sun Performance work fine, but if you use those and I use my EZ-D, I can air down my 4 tires one at a time, then come over to your rig and air your last 2 tires down since I'm tired of waiting for you. Ask Cody if that's true. :rofl:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Is there any disadvantage to removing the valve cores and re-installing them over and over? Seems like a cheap idea. I like being able to do all 4 at once with my deflators, but I may start recommending the valve core remover idea in the future.

Carry spare valve cores, cold hands, gloves, muddy ground and tiny valve cores don't mix :D

The EZ-Deflator style is a unique design in that it actually pulls the valve core so you get that speedy air down, but it holds the valve core in the tool so you simply move the slide out to release the air, slide it down to check the pressure. Once you get where you want to be you screw in the core and move to the next tire. So while they are ~$35 they act as both your air down and your tire gauge all in one... so price wise they are one of the best 'bang for the buck'.

On that note having a good tire repair kit is an essential piece of equipment for all. There are several great options out there, I've become partial to the ARB Speedy Seal kit not just as a retailer but a VERY often user myself. On the Utah Cruiser Expedition last fall we literally used over 20 tire plugs. Bar none our Speedy Seal kits were the single most valuable tool/spare used on the entire trip.

The ARB Speedy Seal kit (pictured above) also comes with a small valve tool kit, a valve stem repair too (for fixing buggered threads), spare caps, spare cores and then of course all the needed tools for plugs. I've got plenty of those around if anyone is looking :D