Which tow rig would you choose?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
It's come time to upgrade the Corolla to something a little more family-friendly, so we're looking at SUV's. Buying a truck isn't an option, and I don't seeing us being able to afford buying one in the near future. We've got it down to either a 05-07 Toyota Sequoia or an 05 or newer Nissan Armada. My 95 Wrangler on a trailer will be around 6k pounds, 1000lbs below the Toyota's tow limit and 3000lbs below the Nissan's. The Nissan has more power but the Toyota is built better and will last longer. Right now, the longevity of the Toy has us leaning heavily that way. We plan on having more kids (have two currently) and only want to buy an SUV once, hence the ginormous rig first. But we like the looks of the Nissan better and it has more power. We plan on spending ~$17k. This will be a soccer-mom-mobile first, tow rig second.

So what say ye? Am I crazy altogether for using either of these as a tow rig?

sixstringsteve

I think you've got two great candidates. We have a 2000 land cruiser (a lot like a sequoia) and we love it. I have no doubt it'd be able to tow $6k comfortably.

rholbrook

Expedition

This is my wife's 2nd Expedition Limited. I get her a new one every 3 years and its the third year that we have had this 08 so she decided she wanted to go drive some other SUVs. In particular the Denali. We literally drove it a mile and turned around to head back to the dealer to take it back. She informed me then that she wanted another Expedition.

It is rated at 9,400 lbs towing capacity and it does it very well. This one has factory air-ride that adjusts automatically to the weight. Look how level it is with my 04 Unlimited on the trailer. The Jeep is pretty far forward on the trailer. It tows really well and I can go over Soldiers Summit at 65 mph without a problem. The big bonus is more headroom than the others and the third row seating folds flat into the floor and the 2nd row seats have a cargo mode that also makes them fold flatter.

Do yourself a favor and go drive one.

Expedition.jpg

Caleb

Why no tahoe love?
The Tahoe's tow capacity is super low. Don't remember off-hand but when we were looking for my wife's vehicle, we looked at them but the tow rating was too low. (Well below 6K).

Of the two choices, I'd go with the Sequoia based on reliability. I absolutely love my Tundra, but it would be closer to the new Sequoia's. Looking at stats, it looks like the Sequoia only has a capacity of 6500. I think if your setup weighs 6K, that would be too close for my tastes. If you have a weight distribution hitch, I may consider it, but without, no way in the world would I.

If you want to tow, based on what I said above, I would probably go with the Armada.

Caleb

This is my wife's 2nd Expedition Limited. I get her a new one every 3 years and its the third year that we have had this 08 so she decided she wanted to go drive some other SUVs. In particular the Denali. We literally drove it a mile and turned around to head back to the dealer to take it back. She informed me then that she wanted another Expedition.

It is rated at 9,400 lbs towing capacity and it does it very well. This one has factory air-ride that adjusts automatically to the weight. Look how level it is with my 04 Unlimited on the trailer. The Jeep is pretty far forward on the trailer. It tows really well and I can go over Soldiers Summit at 65 mph without a problem. The big bonus is more headroom than the others and the third row seating folds flat into the floor and the 2nd row seats have a cargo mode that also makes them fold flatter.

Do yourself a favor and go drive one.

Expedition.jpg
Russ, go put your wife in a new LR4 :rofl: As soon as my wife drove the LR3, she fell in love.

Chevycrew

I know what I want.... Its a newish duramax suburban...

Yes they are out there, conversions. Black lifted one in sandy for 25k.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Thanks for the replies, gents.

Why no tahoe love?
...only want to buy an SUV once...

...it looks like the Sequoia only has a capacity of 6500...

You're right, I thought I had read it was 7200. And the 6500 you quoted was for the 2wd, 4wd is even less at 6200. I thought I had more buffer than that. :eek:

rohlbrook, I hadn't considered one at all before because every Ford my family has had experience with was a pile of crap. They've all required major engine work fairly early in their lives (120k range, I consider it early), the interiors fall apart like crazy, and the electronics go haywire. I had vowed to never buy a Ford, but based on your opinion I'm willing to give them a look.

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
My wife drives a 2001 expedition and I tow the jeep all the time, I agree they handle the weight well and at good speeds. You can also get the expeditions a little cheaper if you take the time to shop used and find a great one, then take the extra $ and take a ride to moab!

RedeyeRacing

I have owned 3 Suburbans, 1 Expedition, 1 Dodge Mega Cab, and Crew Cab Ford, and currently drive a 01 Excursion with the 7.3 PowerStroke. It is BY FAR the best family hauler/Tow Vehicle. The others excelled in either one, or the other. I LOVE suburbans, but pull a 8000K boat and you wish you had a diesel. Put your 4 kids and wife in a Mega Cab, and you will love the motor, but wish you had a 3rd seat. I love my Excusion in every situation...(except to park it in Sugarhouse when you have a lunch meeting)....other than that, it tows like a dream and my kids don't have to touch each other on long road trips......

Robudda723

We have the Armada. I have owned an Expedition, Explorer, F150 Super Crew, and a few other small SUVs. The Armada by far is my favorite family vehicle. We Have 5 kids combined mainly teenagers and there is tons of room with the 3rd seat. However no storage once the 3rd seat is used, so we load on top for trips.

Rob

DevinB

I like traffic lights
An Excursion is just TOO big. My wife would never get behind the wheel. And since this will be her vehicle...

We have the Armada. I have owned an Expedition, Explorer, F150 Super Crew, and a few other small SUVs. The Armada by far is my favorite family vehicle. We Have 5 kids combined mainly teenagers and there is tons of room with the 3rd seat. However no storage once the 3rd seat is used, so we load on top for trips.

Rob

See, I would've picked an Armada first before everything else but I picked up a Consumer Reports mag that gave it low marks for poor quality. It really shook my faith in Nissan building long-lasting vehicles. How is yours holding together?