Which trailer brake controller?

rjmax

The other Paco
I currently have a very basic light duty surge controller (on-off) that worked fine for my popup camp trailer. We have upgraded our trailer and now I need something better suited for towing larger trailers with electric brakes. Which trailer brake controller do you use? Which is the best controller for the money? Are there features you would suggest?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Tekonsha's are super nice. I've had several of their models and liked all of them. They are much smoother than the cheap draw-tite or similar type.

mombobuggy

I put a Valley brand one on my super duty when I got it and have never cared for it . Maybe its just me but I still prefer the simple type that tapped into the trucks brake line. This electronic thing has two adjustment wheels one for how fast it applies one for how hard it stops. It seems to me that it has no modulation its always either to much or not enough. and it is jerky when trying to ease up to a light.

boogie_4wheel

Tekonsha Voyager for me. ~$80. My dad has one in his '01 Dodge (since new). Had one in my '97 GMC, took it out to put in my Dodge I bought a little over 2yrs ago and the previous owner already had a Voyager in it. They are super easy to set up and adjust. Down side is that it can only handle 2 axles (something to think about if you ever get a trailer with 3 axles worth of brakes). The Voyager is a pendulum unit, which is why it is cheaper.

An accelerometer unit is way nicer. I've read lots of good things about the Prodigy P2! If I were to go and purchase one today, I'm thinking this would be it.

http://www.brakecontroller.com/

Caleb

I have had multiple Prodigies as well and never had a complaint about them. I'll probably do a P3 next time I need one.