Which video editing software to buy for a GoPro?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I just got a GoPro last week for our vacation and now I have around 100 clips that I want to edit into a video to give out to my family members. Here's a list of what I'd like to do:

Fast Motion
Slow motion
Music over (and being able to edit how and where the music is put in.)
Turn one video frame into a picture so I can print it off.
Be able to put in credits at the front and end of video, and maybe through out the video.
Fade in and out between video segments.

Not sure of any other options I would want. I want it to look professional, but also want it to be easy enough that I can figure it out. So what program do you use and what would you suggest I go with?
Oh, the computer I will use it on will be a windows 7 unit, if that helps, or matters.
Thanks.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Have you tried Windows Movie Maker? It's free, very basic and easy to learn. It will *probably* do the job you need.

Here are a couple I've made with Movie Maker. You've probably seen them before, but I don't really have anything new... :p

This first one is just images, no video...

[video=youtube;tw1PtKHoeoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw1PtKHoeoI&feature=share&list=UU3hyW69nuc5PInZAoiIryIg[/video]

[video=youtube;Ea8EnSDcFWo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8EnSDcFWo&feature=share&list=UU3hyW69nuc5PInZAoiIryIg[/video]

Don't be surprised when you have 3-4 hours tied up in a 5-10 minute video... editing vids is very time consuming, people that haven't done it don't get it, IMO.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I edited a tape video I made in high school a hundred years ago. I think it was 3 or 4 minutes long and I had over 40 hours in editing, so I know it's a pain, but was hoping it would be a bit easier now. I'll look into the movie maker. I might already have it installed.

KrawlZone

#KrawlZone
There are a couple good editing programs. The free ones are either windows movie maker or on the mac, iMovie. Both are pretty good for the average user. The KrawlZone crew is editing with Adobe Premiere Pro. It is a professional grade editing package. There is however Adobe Premiere Elements that is relatively simple to pick up and start using and the price point is very reasonable if you want to pick it up.

With any package there is a bit of a learning curve. So be patient.

Maybe I should put together a intro to editing video to help layout the basics. Would anyone be interested?

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
I use Premier Pro CS4, it's way more program than I need for the most part, it has a lot of advanced features that are great but confusing at times as well if your not used to the program. I would have to agree with Greg as well, windows movie maker is a pretty good easy to use system.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Turns out I have movie maker so I think I will start playing with it. I just went through my full 32 gig card to pick out which clips I want. I think it will be too long, even if I used half the clips.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Afew years back while making my DVD I used Pinnacle and some other program I cant think of right now but.... the problem was they seem to self destruct after a year especially if ya register it. The other program killed my computer after awhile cause it needed more memory/power to operate, So being on a tight budget buying a new computer and all I went back to Movie-maker. It has done all Ive asked and can turn out a quality video. Its all in the editor himself that makes the magic.

sixstringsteve

since movie maker is free, use it. Then, if you ever feel like you're really getting into the video editing thing and movie maker isn't powerful enough for you, upgrade to something more professional. Chances are, movie maker will be plenty for your needs.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Why did you make the switch and would it be worth it for me to just go straight to that one?

It's just a more powerful program. You can pan and zoom within shots (which I use on almost every piece of video I edit).
You can render in more formats and at higher resolutions, it can handle 3d.
If you anticipate spending hours and hours editing; like I do, it makes sense to upgrade, but if it's only on occasion the learning curve for movie maker is less.

DAA

... editing vids is very time consuming, people that haven't done it don't get it, IMO.

X-a bazillion...

I haven't done any video editing in about five years, but for about seven years prior I did a TON of it. Half a dozen feature length DVD's worth, dozens of promotional clips, a few TV show segments. Got to where I HATED editing video. And, looking back on the stuff I did in that time, it's clear that I never was very good at it either!

The very few quick and dirty video clips I've needed to do in recent years have had zero editing other than trimming.

Hating editing is why I don't use the video capabilities of my 60D or S100 and why I've never been tempted to get a GoPro.

That said, I've been watching Steve's vids when he posts them and I've been looking at the specs of the new Hero3 and hate to say it, but I think I am starting to be tempted.

If I do get a GoPro and start editing short clips again, I'll either use Movie Maker or just do a quick google earch on the current crop of programs and get whichever $100 or less offering that is most popular and has the best reviews.

Can't help with current software though. Five years ago is an eternity in the software market. When I started, I used Premiere Pro for a few years and never did like it very much. Eventually switched to Avid Composer and liked it way better - I thought it was about a hundred times better than PP. It was also way more expensive though, I think I paid like $1500 for it back in about 2003.

- DAA

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
This has got me thinking. I have a few hours of video from the Rubicon I still need to go through. I'll end up just using iMovie on my MAC maybe someday I'll get into it a little more serious.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So I'm finally getting around to using Windows Movie Maker to edit our Hawaii trip. I was wondering if someone knows how to turn off the sound on my clips, so that you don't hear it and the music I have installed at the same time. Together they sound like a jumbled mess. I've seen that you can emphasis one or the other, but you have to have it set that way for the whole video. At some points I'd like to have our voices heard, but at other times, music only and nothing else. Thanks. Oh, fyi, this program is just about perfect for what I'm doing. Very easy and it's turning out pretty good. But my video is almost an HOUR long! That's from about 4 hours of clips from the go pro.

Caleb

Turn one video frame into a picture so I can print it off.

FWIW, this rarely turns out how you hope it would. You might be able to use a frame for a web picture, but the quality for printing won't be there. You gotta figure even the crappiest of point and shoot cameras, which suck for printing, shoot at much higher resolution than 1080P resolution. Just a heads up to not get too hopeful on getting a great picture that you can print out.

As for the software to use, I'm of no help on Windows. But those that are complaining about editing videos on their computers have probably never edited video the old school way of using film :D I had a class in school I had to do that with, talk about time consuming. :D