Gear / Accessories Which Warn Winch?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Just to add to the confusion, I have a plasma torch if you want to come by and make your mods

Thanks, but I don't know if I trust myself to do it. I have never used a plasma cutter, but I have seen how clean they cut. I could use a cut off wheel, but I know that would look amateur.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I also have flap sander, grinding discs, carbide burrs, etc. A straight edge or template, a little grinding, a little touch up paint and even I can look like a pro. It's all about attention to detail, just spend the time to make it look right.

-Eric

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
That doesn't sound too bad. So you're just gonna make the opening bigger but you don't have to plate the bumper again or weld up the cutout afterwards?

For or something that small I think a cut off wheel would be the better choice. The plasma is good but it's only as smooth as your hand lol.

Maybe I am just not that good with the plasma, but I always hit it with the flap disc afterwards to take out small bumps and smooth out the finish. You could use a guide for the torch to help make a straight cut though.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
It wouldn't be too hard to cut, and that is the way I am leaning now.

Here are some pics.

This is the winch opening.

2013-12-17 09.17.37.jpg

And the tape represents what needs to be cut out.

2013-12-17 09.23.51.jpg

I could do it with a cut off wheel, but I don't trust my accuracy on getting the angle cut to look right with the wheel. If I do it with a wheel, I will just cut the lines straight, and not try to match the angle cut they did here. I can only assume that cut is for styling.

How much would someone charge to make these cuts for me? Anyone?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
That doesn't look bad at all. I'd be happy to help you make the cuts in the bumper. I have the tools at my house if you didn't mind bringing the bumper over. Preferably off the Jeep would make it a million times easier to do.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
That doesn't look bad at all. I'd be happy to help you make the cuts in the bumper. I have the tools at my house if you didn't mind bringing the bumper over. Preferably off the Jeep would make it a million times easier to do.

After exchanging texts, I think we agree this is easier with plasma. Frieed, where are you located? I might have to take you up on your offer...

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Well, I took my bumper to Fat Bobs Garage (since it is so close to my house) and had them cut it. It was $50, which wasn't bad IMO. After priming, and using some touch up paint, I threw it back on the Jeep. The winch fits TIGHT, but it fits and works. I need to unspool the wire and respool it with a load, but other than that, it is good to go!

Here it is before the cut.

2013-12-17 09.17.37.jpg

Here it is after the cut, with the winch sitting in place.

2013-12-19 02.49.42.jpg

2013-12-19 02.49.51.jpg

And here it is fully installed.

2013-12-19 04.45.40.jpg

I am glad to have it installed in time for FYTO exploring and all the snow today!

Thanks again for all the input and offers for help!

Attachments

• 2013-12-19 04.03.17.jpg
    2013-12-19 04.03.17.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 15

mombobuggy

Very nice. I.m.h.o. bigger is better where whinches are concerned . When I broke my axle gears at eagles nest Cheston pulled my rig over it like it was nothing. I cant explain why but his 15000 seems to pull harder on a sinle cable than my 9500 high speed does with a doubler. The Gigglepin double motor type is a cool for those with very deep pockets. It combines the advantages of a fast winch with brute power.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
That looks good, must be nice to have a winch finally lol. Now time to get an air compressor :D

It is nice! I should have used it last night to pull my sister out of the snow, but I haven't respooled it yet with tension, and I didn't want to get 80' away from her, so I used a strap. I was hoping to use it to pull you out this weekend at Devils Playground, but you bailed on FYTO. I hope you get feeling better!

If Cabela's sold OBA, I would have done that before the winch, but they don't. Maybe this spring I can convince my wife to get me the OBA system I want for my birthday...

Rock Taco

Looks good. What are the pieces made of that go over your attachment points? I kinda like the bumper better with out them. Not that my opinion matters.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Looks good. What are the pieces made of that go over your attachment points? I kinda like the bumper better with out them. Not that my opinion matters.

They are steel, like the bumper. I debated putting them back on or not, but decided to throw them on just so they aren't laying around my shop.