Which Weighs More?

Mug

PHORmerly
One of the front wheels of a standard 4x4 (let's say a TJ loaded with passengers and gear) or one of the rear wheels?

So, if you could put a scale at the top of an RTI ramp, drive up it forwards or backwards, and weigh the wheel that's on the ramp, would it be a front tire or rear that weighs more? Kind of a weird question, I know...

I would think it's one of the fronts, but I know that you guys might have actual data. If you do have data, is there a percentage that could be applied to the ratio between weight at the front of a 4x4 vs the back? Is there an ideal ratio? 50/50?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I would say fronts, but a lot of rigs are actually pretty close front to rear. Maybe the teraflex guys can chime in. I have seen them weigh quite a few rigs

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I was QUITE surprised how neutral my rig was. I don't remember the exact weights, but the front pass was the heaviest (pumpkin) on that side, but only by about 50-100 lbs.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
On flat ground, my old TJ was surprisingly out of balance... something like a 85/15 ratio front to back. The rear axle was pushed so far back, there was a minimal amount of weight on the rear end. Oddly enough, it climbed wickedly good, so I have no idea how that weight balance played into the equation. :rofl: I could see how once on a climb, the front weight transferred to the rear axle and the excessive weight on the front helped it climb. It was interesting to see the weight bias and then see how well it worked.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
On flat ground, my old TJ was surprisingly out of balance... something like a 85/15 ratio front to back. The rear axle was pushed so far back, there was a minimal amount of weight on the rear end. Oddly enough, it climbed wickedly good, so I have no idea how that weight balance played into the equation. :rofl: I could see how once on a climb, the front weight transferred to the rear axle and the excessive weight on the front helped it climb. It was interesting to see the weight bias and then see how well it worked.

I'm betting I'm close to the same. I'm very front heavy... I bet even a spare tire on the back changes that ratio quite drastically.

The ratios will always be effected by the angle of climb and the center of mass of your rig in reference to the pivot (rear axle).

Not much help I know.

ammo_bru

Not what you wanted but it's about weight

Sorry this is not what you were asking but it gives you info on how to find your center of balance (C/B). This might help someone with the placement of your rig on the trailer.

The C/B is found by measuring from the every front of the vehicle to the center of the front axle, then to the center of the next axle, and the next and so on. You need the weight of each axle. If the attachment is there (first time trying to attach a file) The front axle is 1, and so on.

First axle's (Distance times Weight) plus Second axle's (Distance times Weight) plus Third axle's (Distance times Weight) divided by Total Vehicle Weight. The answer is the distance from the every front of the vehicle that it will balance.

As far as the question at hand, I have no idea for on a ramp. As for my Toy when I found my C/B I had a scale for each tire.
front driver = 980lbs; front pass = 1100lbs; rear driver = 740; rear pass = 620lbs
difference front to back - front is 720lbs heavier then the rear but from driver to pass sides were equal.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Attachments

• CoB.GIF
    CoB.GIF
    54.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Caleb

It changes a lot when you put the rig on an incline or accelerate.
What he said. However, your question is a little confusing because you ask which is heavier, then your example is on a ramp. On a ramp (depending on the degree) the rear will almost always be heavier because all the weight shifts to the rear. On flat ground it really depends on how your rig is setup (as proven by all the examples in this thread).

Mug

PHORmerly
It was a weird question.

It's more about one wheel raised off the ground with all the others still touching pavement. I'll reveal why I asked the question in a new thread soon.

Mug

PHORmerly
Here's why I asked: We are coming out with our new line of cargo racks. We wanted to test how well they can hold up under an Extreme Load

First we lifted the passenger front tire into the air with our cherry picker.
100_0280.jpg

More lifting.
100_0282.jpg

Then we lowered it down onto the rack. :ugh: NO BENDING! :D
100_0290.jpg

Lookin' Good!:cool:
100_0301.jpg

Mug

PHORmerly
More Pics:

100_0299.jpg

100_0298.jpg

The only slight bending that occurred was the second tube from the middle, where the tire was resting.
100_0312.jpg

After we were done, we checked for any deformation of the main tube. Straight as an arrow! Side Note: For this this model we were using 1/8" wall square tube as the main tube; We have since changed to the thicker 3/16" wall tube! If 1/8" didn't bend under the load, 3/16" will be tough as nails.
100_0320.jpg

Pricing Coming Soon! Please comment if you're interested in finding out more info.

billylight

the biggest problem with these racks is that they ruin departure angle. you guys should come out with one that raises up 8" or something to gain the ability to drive on a moderate trail?

Mug

PHORmerly
Agreed! It's more of a easy trail or highway addition.

And thank you for the suggestion. We will be releasing more products very soon and I think you'll be pleased with what you see.