Which winch to get.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I am in the market for a new winch and can't make up my mind. I want something that will be strong and reliable and not fail on me for stupid reasons. I had an 8000 but it looks like I can pick up a 10,000 for my price range. I am looking for one around the $500-$600 range. I have somewhat narrowed it down to these two. A Warn VR10000 http://www.quadratec.com/products/92136_0101_07.htm 579.99. Or a Smittybilt SRC-10 Comp series winch http://www.quadratec.com/products/92122_1003_07.htm for 549.99.

I know warns have been around forever and have a good reliability to them. Does any have anything bad or good to say about the smittybilt. Anyone recommend any other brands. I love that fact that the smittybilt comes with a synthetic rope but realize it is a cheaper based price winch 399.99. Thanks for your input. Just wanted some valued opinions before I purchase anything.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I don't recommend the Warn VR series, their line speed is half that of a regular warn or smittybilt. And they have had problems with them over heating. It is warn's answer for the Smittybilt, champion, bulldog, budget line of winches.

I personally would do the XRC10 comp. And I would buy it from 4wheelparts, (yours truly). We keep them in stock at most times.

And if any winch can survive Brandon, you know its a good winch.

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
You need to remember, the line rate is for that of the first wrap around the drum. So every wrap drops the pull rate. I dont know what you wheel or how much it weighs. Just a little info. I have a Warn 9.5ti, does real well. If you get a winch of lesser pull rating, keep in mind you can use a snatch block and mack it work.
Dwayne

Toad

Watch KSL for some smoking deals. Sometimes you can find some high end winches for dirt cheap. I picked up a 9.5 ti with synthetic rope for 380.00 bucks this summer.

Johnny4X4

you need to decide just how often you are really going to use it.

a harbor freight winch does the job, but if you really use it alot it will wear out.

if your up to replacing brushes and solenoids, any winch will do.

and are you really in a hurry to get where you want with your winch? Slow or fast you get the job done.

i personally have a ramsey patriot 9500, i have had for a long long time, I never worry it's gonna let me down.

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck
Mine is an XRC-10 Kev, and i've never had any issues with it. You can get them on Amazon.com for 399.99. I have a prime account and had it delivered next day for 3.99 too. :D