whinch wiring

hooptycj

putting a warn 8274 on my jeep, question being how is the best way to wire it up? direct through the batt or through a isolater of some sort? It is a used older winch with no wires or instructions.

WJL

I have always connected straight to the battery posts on a front or rear permanant mount, but my father has a multi mount and that is directed through a isolator. That is probally done because of the plug end.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I use "Back to the Future" plugs on all my connections... welder, winches, 120V inverter, etc. Though there is nothing wrong with connecting directly to the battery, they were designed as such.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The problem with going directly to the battery is that if something were to happen up stream (wire kink, etc) then you have a direct short on the battery and a recipe for dissaster. If you caught it in time, you would need to hurry and pop your hood and un hook the cable from the battery.

My Warn 16,500 lb winch is hooked up directly to the side posts of my Optima yellow top - even though I know the dangers of doing so. Point being, know the dangers yourself and choose your best method. I'm sure just about everyone has theirs ran directly to their batteries as well.