White Rim Trail in 2wd???

leorn

reset
Posting for a friend:

He is wondering if he can make it in a 2wd suburban. He will have other vehicles to strap if required.

This sounded to me a little crazy.

Plan B is to rent a 6+ passenger vehicle from the airport here in vegas like a commander etc and do it with that vehicle. Any chance of body damage?

I would not consider him to be experienced driving off road.

I am familiar with a lot of the more challenging trails, but don't have a clue about the scenic stuff. What do you guys think?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It is a fairly tame trail but there are sections when even dry that require 4WD, especially in a lower clearance vehicle. Add in climate weather and he is putting his passengers and group at risk as they could be strapping him all over the place. The NPS is known to shut one end of the trail or the other down during bad weather, ie the Shafer Trail switchbacks. In the winter months its not at all uncommon for them to be snow covered for days at a time.

Hello! This is one of my favorite trails. If he is planning on dropping in from the Island in the Sky visitor center he may have to back up a bit in the switch backs as he drives down the cliff side. Unless there is snow on the road he is good in 2wd. If he is coming in from Potash Road, a bit of ground clearance in the long 'burban would be more necessary than 4 wheel drive. He should be good in 2wd on a dry road almost to the end when he has to climb back out on Mineral Bottom Rd. I've not driven the last half in a few years and as I recall the last little bit was the most "interesting driving" on the trail. Easy road any stock 4 wheel drive can do without trail damage. Check out Lathrop Canyon too. About a 1/4 of the way around White Rim you can drop down to the river from White Rim. There are picnic tables and a pit toilet down there. The trail is a little tougher than the main road, but should not be a problem for a 4 wheel drive. Have fun, I'd love to be driving that road now than typing about it.

roverrocks

I would not want to be out on this long but easy trail in anything other than a 4w drive vehicle. The time I did it in Feb. we woke up to the last morning with new snow on the ground. We all were glad to have 4w. A little rain and this trail would be terrible in a 2w Suburban. As you are talking about a 2w Suburban or renting an airport Commander, then you run into the fact that you almost certainly will have street tires on either of them. Easy trail or not I would not want to be out on this 100+ mile trail W/O either good AT or MT tires. There are rocky areas and shale areas which could easily cut street tires. My advice is to rent a couple of good Jeeps in Moab itself and go in those. Good 4w vehicles with good offroad tires.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
My advice is to rent a couple of good Jeeps in Moab itself and go in those. Good 4w vehicles with good offroad tires.

Thats what I was going to say. I would personally call up Cliffhanger Jeep Rentals and get one of their rigs, probably just as cheap as an airport this time of year.

Bart

2wd, no, especially climbing up Murphy's Hog Back. Jeep Commander plus inexperience, would still be marginal. It's not real tough or technical, but it could tricky for someone inexperienced.