who can identify these

Kyle

GO Jr.
They were in the oil pan of the motor I hope to use in my buggy.The guy I got the motor from said he thought it had a rod knock.
Its a 1991 dodge 318. it has multi port injection
which is wy I want to use it instead of my 360.
Any help is appreciated
thank you in advance
Kyle

Attachments

• IMG_20101109_162730.jpg
    IMG_20101109_162730.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20101109_162806.jpg
    IMG_20101109_162806.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
wow, I'm far from a Chrysler expert but those look very valve train oriented to me. I can't think of anything else that small in the bottom end unless those are part of the cam bearing system. The question if that is correct, is how did things that big get down into the pan. Looking up a LA engine rebuild kit to see if I can figure those parts out. Curious to see what the Mopar folks think.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Cam bearings.

Must be a pretty small cam... did you see the Quarter? :p

They almost look like some kind of valve seal retainer, but I wouldn't think they would have made their way down to the oil pan! :eek:

Have you pulled the valve covers by chance?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
What is interesting is they are all the same shape with a cut out. They also look to be the actual size rather than broken pieces. I wondered about valve seats but not sure how those would end up in the pan.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Must be a pretty small cam... did you see the Quarter? :p

They almost look like some kind of valve seal retainer, but I wouldn't think they would have made their way down to the oil pan! :eek:

Have you pulled the valve covers by chance?

It is a 318 you know..........:rofl:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Like Marc, I steer clear of anything Mopar. Judging by the scale against the quarter, way too small to be anything cam related. I've seen some umbrella type valve seals use a similar locking devise, but they appear a bit large for that. If it turns out to be something like that, there's about 9 more peices floating around in that engine somewhere.

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
Its been many years since I've worked on that motor, but I'm thinking that the rocker arms for that engine ride on a common rail, and those pieces are some kind of keeper to make sure everything lines up. Pulling off a valve cover could confirm or shoot that theory down. :)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Its been many years since I've worked on that motor, but I'm thinking that the rocker arms for that engine ride on a common rail, and those pieces are some kind of keeper to make sure everything lines up. Pulling off a valve cover could confirm or shoot that theory down. :)

I think you're right. Kind of a like a Buick rocker system :D

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
cam bearings are pressed into the block, and they are one piece. i'd bet the farm if i had one, that they are not bearing material