who else works nights or stupid hours?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sunday 4 am to Friday 2 pm. 65-70 hrs/week. I will go anywhere in the western states in those 6 days, and sleep in the truck each night.

93TJ

I work on Saturday 4pm to midnight, Sunday 2pm to 10pm, Monday 7:30am to 3:30 pm, Tuesday 6am to 2pm and then Tuesday night 10:30 pm to Wed morning at 6:30 am. I have Thursday and Friday off.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I am on call 24/7, on duty for a maximum of 12 hours with a mandatory 10 hours rest in between shifts. I can, and do often, exceed the 12 hour limit, but I cannot perform any safety sensitive duties after 12. If I work 6 consecutive shifts without a 24 hour break mixed in somewhere, I take a federally mandated 48 hours off. This is the only time I can actually do anything outside of resting.

Welcome to the railroad.

I work 4 days a week... 10 hr shifts. Sometimes I can't do ANY work, because there are too many trains. :greg:

Welcome to the railroad... :p

So glad I didn't transfer to TE&Y... :cody:

Box Rocket

bored
I have a very irregular schedule when our busy season hits. Hours are pretty flexible but I typically arrive around 9:00am. Our busy stretch is typically January-August and during that stretch getting home at 10pm is a good day. 9am - midnight is more "normal" M-F with Saturday usually being 10am-6pm with an occasional Sunday thrown into the mix.

Such is life in deadline oriented jobs. Funny thing is when I tell people what I do for a living they usually think I have the "best" job. :) I make video games. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do but it's not sitting around playing games all day. It is surprisingly high pressure and long hours.

rollover

I was offered a graveyard position within my department yesterday. Agh... I can't make up my mind and I need to give them an answer soon. I work swing shift now and don't see my daughter during the week while she's in school which is the biggest reason I'm considering it. Going to graveyard would also let me work with the more experienced crowd and not the newer low seniority people. I would also gain a weekend crew which means weekends would be optional for me (that would be great). I'm worried about not getting enough sleep obviously and being a zombie. What do you guy's think I should do? Any tips for getting a decent nights--I mean days sleep?

When I did graveyards the best way to get to sleep was always total darkness. Black out curtains low watt bulbs in the room. Unwind for twenty mins low light then lights out.

I found this worked best for me. Hope that helps.
JM2C

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I picked up a second job, part time seasonal work at a nut house for not very much pay. So most days I've been working 0000 to 0830, and then 0900 to 1300, which gives me just enough time to go home and kiss the wife and play with the boys a little and eat a hot meal before it's time for bed. Because one job is seven on two off and the other is ten on four off I have some days where I only work 0000 to 0830, and some days where I only work 0900 to 1300, and two days every two weeks I don't work at all.

Oddly enough, the end result is that I've been getting out in the truck more, because those two days every two weeks that are mine and mine alone have become sacred :). The job ends in two weeks when things will get back to normal and the credit cards will be a little more paid off than they are now. I'll probably look for another PT job because the extra income is nice, but it's gonna have to be for more than I'm making now or it won't be worth it.