Who has an impact wrench and would be willing to help me?

sloppyjoe4by

I have fought and fought with the upper bolt on each of my rear shackles on my Jeep Wrangler and cannot get them out. They are "frozen" in the bushings. If I could get a hammer on the back side of them I could knock them out but my gas tank is in the way. I think if I had an impact wrench on it and a little force from a pry bar or something on the back, I could get it. The bolt will spin when a socket is on it, but I cant get enough force/leverage to get it out. If anyone in the North Ogden/Ogden area would be willing to help me, I would really appreciate it. Let me know what it would be worth to you...

Adam

ewander

sloppyjoe4by said:
I have fought and fought with the upper bolt on each of my rear shackles on my Jeep Wrangler and cannot get them out. They are "frozen" in the bushings. If I could get a hammer on the back side of them I could knock them out but my gas tank is in the way. I think if I had an impact wrench on it and a little force from a pry bar or something on the back, I could get it. The bolt will spin when a socket is on it, but I cant get enough force/leverage to get it out. If anyone in the North Ogden/Ogden area would be willing to help me, I would really appreciate it. Let me know what it would be worth to you...

Adam

Cut them out with a sawzall.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
it takes a really nice, powerful impact to do that. my impact is about 10 times weaker than my own arms.
put a long cheater on it and stand on it! be careful though :eek:

or cut it off

sloppyjoe4by

They are actually aftermarket shackles and the nut is on the inside of the frame, next to the tank. I got the nuts off, and the bolts will turn, I just cant get any leverage on it while it is turning. We went through this once before, and JR at Ms. Conception put an impact wrench on it and I think a pry bar on the back and gave it a little coersion while spinning it out.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I think your right about an impact wrench or even an air ratchet helping, but if I did not have a compressor or a rattle gun. I would just drop the tank. I know that it can be done in less than a half an hour. I would also try to get a chisile under the head of the bolt and try to tap and pry it out from the head end.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
bobdog said:
I think your right about an impact wrench or even an air ratchet helping, but if I did not have a compressor or a rattle gun. I would just drop the tank. I know that it can be done in less than a half an hour. I would also try to get a chisile under the head of the bolt and try to tap and pry it out from the head end.
So let me understand this,,, You would rather drop the tank, hope to god that you can beat/impact these bolts out (in hope that they will come out) rather than just cut the bolt and go buy a new one? It will take you 2 min per bolt or an hour of fawkin with the tank.... :ugh: :ugh:

Sorry Bob, that one doesn't make any sence.

If those bolts are in there like most of the one I have delt with..... yer cuttin. :p

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
sloppyjoe4by said:
They are actually aftermarket shackles and the nut is on the inside of the frame, next to the tank. I got the nuts off, and the bolts will turn, I just cant get any leverage on it while it is turning. We went through this once before, and JR at Ms. Conception put an impact wrench on it and I think a pry bar on the back and gave it a little coersion while spinning it out.

Bring it down. We'll get you fixed up.....

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Both times I swapped springs on my Jeep I had to cut off those bolts with a sawzall. Good luck buddy. If you got down this way I would help you out with it.

Andrew

:)

ewander

I have done a ton of these. The easiest way is to cut the bolt. I have got them out with an impact and a pry bar, but seriously it is a lot easier to cut the bolt.

Caleb

we had this same problem on my bros Cj with his original springs (I know a little older :D) but we tried heating them (so much so that we burnt the bushings 100% out :eek: ) even at that point we just ended up cutting them off. Then with my wrangler when I pulled the 2.5" springs that came with it I just cut the bolts off in a matter of minutes and was done...At my disposal I had an air hammer/chisel, impact wrench, air ratchet, sawzall, etc and my weapon of choice (after trying all) was the sawzall ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I burned mine out, but the gas tank wasn't right next to the damn things. CHOP CHOP bolts are cheap and easy. Spare yourself the frustration.

4x4phil

yea dude, save the gas driving to a friends house and go get new I bolt then cut those beawches. It's a lot more fun, and good for relieveing stress, by just destroying something every once in a while.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
It might be faster and less work to use a grinder with a cut-off wheel. Do you understand why it will spin but will not come out? The bolt is rusted to the inner sleeve of the bushing. The inner sleeve is bigger than the hole in the shackle, so the bolt wont come out.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
what you might also have a problem with is that the bolt might be rusted to death on the inner sleeve in the bushings. It might NEVER come out. You need to get your sawzall/recip-saw on bro!!!

Do I know you, I am in north ogden also...

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Shawn said:
So let me understand this,,, You would rather drop the tank, hope to god that you can beat/impact these bolts out (in hope that they will come out) rather than just cut the bolt and go buy a new one? It will take you 2 min per bolt or an hour of fawkin with the tank.... :ugh: :ugh:

Sorry Bob, that one doesn't make any sence.

If those bolts are in there like most of the one I have delt with..... yer cuttin. :p

It doesn't sound like they are in there the way everyone is thinking. It sounds like he has aftermarket poly bushings and no sleeve. The bolt is being pinched by the bushing not stuck to a sleeve. If he has no rattle gun he may not have a sawsall and if the shackles are HD and have a welded brace he may not get the shackle off with a sawsall with out ruining the bushings anyway.

sloppyjoe4by

Thanks for the input all, a little more clarification maybe. They are aftermarket shackles with a welded brace. I have a sawzall, but I couldn't see it helping even if I cut both ends of the bolt off, and I attempt to tap it out from the outside toward the tank, I think the remaining will be too long and the gas tank will get in the way. I am not worried about saving the bolt, the threads are pretty much destroyed anyway, and my replacement boomerang shackles came with bolts, or I would gladly buy a new one if that was the result of the easiest method, however, I don't think that will work...

Adam

sloppyjoe4by

I also don't care about ruining the bushings, I have replacements....

Spencurai, I am not sure. I think I may have wheeled with you a few years ago in Moab. Do you/did you have a blue suzuki and put your leg out as a kickstand to hold yourself up on lower heldorado?

Adam