Who has done boatsides and would you do them again.

brandonlmb

brandonlmb
Who has done boatsides and would you do them again? Im thinking I want to do boatsides my Tj but want some input on it. Post up some pics.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I haven't done them on a TJ, but on a CJ. Honestly, I don't know if I would do it again. It was cool to have done and I liked the extra clearance, but I don't think I ever made an obstacle because I did have boat sides. I liked the way they looked although I have seen some terribly done examples.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I haven't done them on a TJ, but on a CJ. Honestly, I don't know if I would do it again. It was cool to have done and I liked the extra clearance, but I don't think I ever made an obstacle because I did have boat sides. I liked the way they looked although I have seen some terribly done examples.

"Making an obstacle" is an interesting statement. Boatsides don't really help on "obstacles" like suicide hill, upper helldo waterfall, wayne's world.... But when it comes to the fun bouldery stuff, it is one of the most important mods that can be done to a TJ IMO. I don't think I would have had a shot at Britney with rock rails. Boatsides made all the difference.

The amount of sheetmetal that is removed when done correctly is amazing. I would absolutely do them again.

STAG

On my grind
I did mine starting just about an inch below the door, and only like 32° (depending on which way you want to consider it), not as steep as what most people do. But because of my custom body mounts it's the most I could go. And yes I'd do it again.

brandonlmb

brandonlmb
I think I only have a inch below the door openings that are not smashed in, so it will be a pretty big cut. I was also thinking of loosing the body mounts when I do this. Or is loosing the body mounts a bad decision? My cage is tied in at 8 different points.

STAG

On my grind
A lot of people ditch the body mounts completely. I redid mine to be somewhat of a 2" body lift. It's all up to whatever works best for your needs.

this is what mine had looked like (you can see my home brew super-beef body mounts. )

done002.jpg

Last edited:

Bart

It doesn't matter how much straight material you have under the door, it will be easy to straighten whatever you keep once the rest is cut away. I'd leave at least an inch and then run the boat side to the bottom of the door and weld inside and out.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Looks good.
The ones that have done them, how did you do the front Cage mounts? I have always tied the cage in.
Pics?
I decided to completely redo my CJ and have been kicking this around for a while.
Thanks