Who has switched from dirtbikes or quads or 4x4 to utv's?

Caleb

The argument of $20k could build me a sweet jeep is stupid. Compare apples to apples. Let's be real, a SxS used isn't $20K...unless it's already built nicely (I know they can go much higher than that when nicely built, but so will a new nicely built Jeep). If you want to compare a stock $20K SxS then let's compare it to the same stock new Jeep (Jeeps start at $22K-$23K). But since we're comparing a base model Jeep, a base model SxS (Wildcat for example) starts at $17K...I've got $5K-$6K of upgrades before I'm even at the same price point of a stock new Jeep. you compare 4 door to 4 door and the numbers get even further out of the Jeep's favor.

I'm not saying a SxS is better than a Jeep or a Jeep is better than a SxS, they serve different purposes. To compare them against each other is stupid. If you would rather not have a SxS and would rather have a Jeep...cool, good for you. Some guys would rather have a SxS, good for them...and some want both, they win. :) The argument about not having a loan on a toy...smart man! However, I bet the large majority guys on here that wheel their rigs have loans on them. I'll never have a loan on a toy, but I see no difference in having a loan on a Jeep that I wheel vs. having a loan on a SxS.

FWIW, when I say Jeep, I primarily mean any offroad rig. :)

RogueJeepr

Here!
Me and my Pops started out on 2 dirtbikes then upgraded to ATV's and did the sand-dunes for alot of years (basically grew up out there) , upgraded the ATV's a few years back but I got into jeepin . Since then I dont feel right being on my ATV at the dunes people going every wich direction , always looking out for the other guy blasting thru your path, kinda nerve-racking. Had a few close calls that coulda ended very badly or deadly . Its just not the same as before . I have more fun in my jeep creepin along or some dirt road in the middle of nowhere . We hardly use the ATV's anymore with conflicting scedules and such but he still has em" .

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Why not do it all. I have some used dirt bikes, an old grizzly and a decent jeep. My jeep is my wife's DD so we would be paying for a car there anyway. My total setup is less than $30k not counting tow rig or trailer but you need those either way, SXS /off-road rig.
Literally my biggest problem is trying to decide what toys to play with in my limited free time.

NYCEGUY01

For 20k you could build a Sami that would make a SXS look silly.... they do it in cali because you have to wear a helmet in a SXS but if you build a Sami or kick you have no helmet law.

And one more thing to remember is aside from private ground and the dunes, all roads have a speed limit.. and its usually like 35mph

No you couldn't...lol

Go spend 20k on a Sammi and lets take them out...

My golf cart vs your sammi....

80MPH through the desert eating 3' Whoops.
Radiator rapids at 20MPH while the crawlers struggle.
Climbing anything I want and then clearing 30' gaps at speed in the dunes.

Im not saying crawlers aren't awesome. Just that for 20k you aren't doing what my RZR will do.

If youd prefer to drive a Jeep that's fine, I wont badmouth you for your choice, Just don't make up crap and say stupid things about my choice.

NYCEGUY01

Its a lot more bouncing through compared to crawling.
Probably closer to 10-12MPH though....

31" tires, low weight, and a good skid make it possible.... That was my old 2 seater. Havent had the 4 seater down there yet..

To be fair... It wouldn't do Waynes. I couldn't get over the 1st ledge at the bottom without stacking a bunch of rocks. I made a few attempts but didn't want to make everyone else wait while I made a ramp.lol
I think it may have made the climb after that ledge though. It was just too short and had too small of tires for the ledges...

Theres also no way it will make the nest without just hanging on the end of the winch cable and getting drug over...

Last edited:

flexyfool

GDW
I'd like to see a video of a RZR doing 80 MPH eating 3' Whoops.

I agree with the general sentiment that a $20K Samurai can't hang with a $20K RZR at speeds.

Last edited:

flexyfool

GDW
I'd like to see a video of a RZR clearing 30' in the dunes. Not on a motocross track. Real world stuff here. If you don't have videos of yourself doing it, it didn't happen.:tara:

Last edited:

flexyfool

GDW
Ill try to get a vid on Labor day from St Anthony.

Heres a real world vid though. This kind of jump happens on most dune rides. Anyone who has spent time in the sand knows it is not a one off type deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ynzu2W6y1s

Ill get one of mine doing it though.

Ahh. That's what you mean by "clearing". I thought it meant clearing a 30' gap or something. Pretty cool, but I think a $20K Samurai could do that. Check out the stock Grand Cherokee at the 1:00 mark. It looks like he clears 100 ft. and sticks the landing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCW0mY9fyWw

Check out the stock Ford 250 at 3:40. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfX5gopDdPA

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

it's amazing the places thefirstzukman can take his sami on 30s. I am in awe every time I watch him drive that thing.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
No you couldn't...lol

Go spend 20k on a Sammi and lets take them out...

My golf cart vs your sammi....

80MPH through the desert eating 3' Whoops.
Radiator rapids at 20MPH while the crawlers struggle.
Climbing anything I want and then clearing 30' gaps at speed in the dunes.

Im not saying crawlers aren't awesome. Just that for 20k you aren't doing what my RZR will do.

If youd prefer to drive a Jeep that's fine, I wont badmouth you for your choice, Just don't make up crap and say stupid things about my choice.

If I had 20K right now, you would be eating your words. If jumped my Sami over 30' at Five mile on the Dirt, High Speed woops are the only place I would worry about a SXS out doing me and I think for 10K of that 20K into suspension, Im no longer worried. I can drop 200Hp into a Sami for $3500 A set of toy axles are cheap.. This could easily be done.

NYCEGUY01

Better get started...

Ill believe it when I see it... Then Ill eat my words....

Sept 13th should be a good test for all those Sammys...... Its not quite KOH but it will do.....

2014SeriesScheduleSmall.jpg

Cascadia

Undecided
There's got to bra bigger purse than eating words or it's just not worth it. I have $100 to the winner. But only if we get a big pot to make it worth it.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I've got a wife and two kids - 10 and 8 years old. I've had many Jeeps and quads over the years. I've also had an XR-650R and a DRZ400 recently. Last October, we bought a Teryx4. We chose the Kawasaki because of the better build quality/reliablity vs. the Polaris RZR's, and the fact that it is downright comfy for 4 adults without having the wheelbase of a school bus. Since buying the UTV, we've been out on the trails about 5x more often as a family as we had been in Jeeps. The Teryx4 is too wide for ATV only trails, but there are quite a few places to take it still. Not being able to access <50" trails is my biggest frustration when compared to the ATV's we sold. But, you can certainly fit the UTV more places than you can a Jeep. It does as well as a slightly modified Jeep off road, and it is a blast in Moab. We added a 2" bracket lift to ours (~$125) and it really got the belly up enough to get a little more rough with it.

If you're looking to run trails the power to weight ratio isn't a big deal, but in the sand you will likely be disappointed unless you get into the 1000cc motors. The Teryx4 750 (pre-2014) has a power to weight ratio that's lower than a Jeep Cherokee. It doesn't climb sand well at all.

One solution for a trail UTV would be to buy a RZR 800, in the 2-seat 50" width model and add a back seat and cage extension for the kids. It's not an ideal weight balance, but it gets you 4 seats in a 50" wide package. You could also be in this under $10K easily if you buy used, and it would fit in the back of a full-size pickup.

Jared

D

Deleted member 12904

Better get started...

Ill believe it when I see it... Then Ill eat my words....

Sept 13th should be a good test for all those Sammys...... Its not quite KOH but it will do.....

View attachment 93416

I would love to see some Samis out racing. They would shine in the Allen Gerber washes with man eating rocks.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Just bought a wildcat X, been out more in the last three months than I had the crawler out in the last 6 years. I bought mine for a variety of riding, mountain trails, going to the cabin, sand duning, and yes rock crawling. Crawling is still the primary use for mine, but it does everything well. I could never take the crawler to the cabin, what would be the point? Or the dunes, not enough HP to have any fun. Or the mountains, although it would go anywhere I wanted it wouldn't be as fun or comfortable as my WCX.
I find the crawling aspect of the WCX more fun than the crawler. No its not as capable but the obstacles that used to be fun before all the mods are fun again. The thing I love is in Moab when I bust out of an obstacle and there is three miles of hardscrabble to the next one, I can put the desert car style suspension to work and cruise along at a higher speed and have fun then too.
Still plenty capable for running the hard trails though, just got home from running Hanging Tree with a group of 13 SXSs, on the trail by 10 am, back on the trailers by 4:30...I had never gotten off the trail before dark in the past.

And, its street legal, so I am able to drive it more places than I ever could in the crawler. When we go to St. George we can now drive pretty much anywhere we want to go on the way to Sand Hollow. I know a crawler can be licensed now as well, but this wasn't an option in the past.

Last edited: