Who has used Staun Internal Beadlocks?

We are switching to Staun Beadlocks this season. I think they are going to be a huge advantage for us this season. I am also going to become a dealer for them and will have them available for anyone interested.

Bud

'98 ZJ
rock-slide said:
We are switching to Staun Beadlocks this season. I think they are going to be a huge advantage for us this season. I am also going to become a dealer for them and will have them available for anyone interested.
Can you beat 4WheelParts prices?

Crinco

Bud, did you see the write-up about Staun in the 4 Wheel Parts Magazine (Adventures)? I just got it in the mail. Pretty good comparison against regular Beadlocks.

leorn

reset
rim protection

I was trying to figure out whether you would miss the protection offered by the ring on traditional beadlocks for grinding on rocks. It looked to me like you would be grinding the rims on the rocks with stauns.

Do they cause the tires to protrude somewhat? Maybe it doesn't even matter (functionally) if you put some little scrapes on your rims?

Crinco

The Magazine editors had the same thought, wondering how much more damage a rim would get. Personally I have seen a lot of guys bending rims because of side impacts with rock that a beadlock helps give protection for. Once an alloy rim is bent, it's trash.

I believe these staun beadlocks would be awsome in the sand, mud and snow, but for the rocks I personally needed that side impact protection of a big thick ring.

Last edited:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
leorn said:
I was trying to figure out whether you would miss the protection offered by the ring on traditional beadlocks for grinding on rocks. It looked to me like you would be grinding the rims on the rocks with stauns.

Do they cause the tires to protrude somewhat? Maybe it doesn't even matter (functionally) if you put some little scrapes on your rims?

Several companies make weld on bead support rings.
http://www.omfperformance.com/beadlocks.htm at the bottom of the page

I have also seem guys have a stick of cold rolled round bar, rolled into a hoop and then weld to the outer bead.

Last edited:

Caleb

so now that we know what the potential downside is to them (lack of rim protection, but can be fixed) what are the advantages? Double beadlock right? What else? Weight? (not that weight is a huge concern on your rims, especially if you'll just be adding water for comps anyways)

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Supergper said:
so now that we know what the potential downside is to them (lack of rim protection, but can be fixed) what are the advantages? Double beadlock right? What else? Weight? (not that weight is a huge concern on your rims, especially if you'll just be adding water for comps anyways)

Selection of rims, can still be used if you buy new rims, don't have to ship your rims back and forth, run flat in emergency, legality stuff....

Crinco

There are also two valve stems instead of one, and If you change rim sizes, you have to buy a new set. They have many ups and downs. I have been hoping the price would come down as they become more popular.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Crinco said:
There are also two valve stems instead of one, and If you change rim sizes, you have to buy a new set. They have many ups and downs. I have been hoping the price would come down as they become more popular.
But if you have bead locks and want to change sizes, you have to buy a new set... I see your point, but both have that dissavantage...

One thing I'm curious about, is how can you deflate the tire with this in there - ie airdown. One would think the Staun would cover the tire's valve stem and stop the air from coming out. Maybe this is for trailer queens, and not DD's...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
waynehartwig said:
...One thing I'm curious about, is how can you deflate the tire with this in there - ie airdown. One would think the Staun would cover the tire's valve stem and stop the air from coming out...

Your the dealer of the product Wayne, you tell us... :rofl:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
cruiseroutfit said:
Your the dealer of the product Wayne, you tell us... :rofl:
I have no idea... I've never used them before...Too rich for my blood! That's why I was asking.

I learned long time ago that knowing everything is impossible and the only way you can learn, is by asking questions. I'm not ashamed to ask questions on a subject that I 'should' know.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
waynehartwig said:
I have no idea... I've never used them before...Too rich for my blood! That's why I was asking.

I learned long time ago that knowing everything is impossible and the only way you can learn, is by asking questions. I'm not ashamed to ask questions on a subject that I 'should' know.

What if they are junk? You don't mind pimping junk you have no experience with? Just messing with you Wayne ;)

Back on the subject, you can air down fine... Staun beadlocks have an air pockett that is formed with a couple peices between the beadlock and the rim/tire to allow air to go through the supplied valve stem and the regular tire. You use the second valve to adjust the pressure in the Staun. The only real downfalls I can see are the lack of bead protection as previously discussed (and resolutions presented), and the fact that when (not if) you ever destroy a tire, you run the risk of destroying your internal beadlock too. (I'm talking about a catastrophic tire rupture, railroad spike, pipe, tree, sharp rock, etc).

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
cruiseroutfit said:
What if they are junk? You don't mind pimping junk you have no experience with? Just messing with you Wayne ;)
Of course I mind - but the customer is always right! Even when he wants to buy junk, there is only so much a person can do to persaude them - without loosing a sale completely.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
waynehartwig said:
Of course I mind - but the customer is always right! Even when he wants to buy junk, there is only so much a person can do to persaude them - without loosing a sale completely.

Hmmm, I will agree to disagree on that. Sure the customer is always right, but on the same hand I won't even make junk available to them. If I havn't or wouldn't run it, I won't sell it. My personal gig, different strokes for different folks...

One more thing about the Stauns versus conventional beadlocks, with a Staun, you can literally drive on a flat tire, hence why the armoring companies use them. Not quite as durable as a Hummer internal system when driven on a flat, but I can only imagine it would get you where you need to go. Does this have practical application for wheelers? Yes & no... I can think of some places (on an obstacle for example) that I wouldn't want to jack up the rig and swap a tire... but then again, you can drive on a flat tire a short distance at a low speed..