Who here has broken an atlas transfer case???

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have been following the pirate thread about the trail worthy fabs new transfer case, Although I think it awesome there are companies pushing the envelope for bigger stronger parts is the market really there for a case that costs twice as much as the atlas.....

I just bought a new 3.8 atlas with the HD outputs and the comp grade gear sets so my view is kinda biased.....

What do you all think???

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Spending a little time in the comp world, UROC, WErock, XRRA, KOH, 4+ years, plus 25 years of off roading, I think I have honestly seen one atlas failure, and that probably had to do more with the application and how it was installed vs the case itself. :D

We ran one in a KOH car with well over 500 hp with NO issues... I have seen dana 300s, dana 20s, np 208s, np 231s, np203s, fail to one degree or another. (Trying to think of any 205s, but really can't)

Currently I have two rigs with Atlas t cases, 4spd and a 4.3, and love them... Well worth what you pay.

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have only been around 1 broken atlas and that was the 26 spline front output I have never seen an issue with the 32 spline version

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I think my Atlas 4.1:1 is now about 11 years old. Never an issue.

I've also heard of a few broken 26 spline front outputs, but no 32s. When I purchased mine, they were having the 32 spline upgrade offered for free. Glad the timing worked out on that as I probably wouldn't have upgraded otherwise.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I think my Atlas 4.1:1 is now about 11 years old. Never an issue.

I've also heard of a few broken 26 spline front outputs, but no 32s. When I purchased mine, they were having the 32 spline upgrade offered for free. Glad the timing worked out on that as I probably wouldn't have upgraded otherwise.

Yeah when I ordered mine I knew it was going to be with me for a long time.... I ordered every upgrade they offered not sure if it was worth it but if it saves a weekend of wheeling it was worth every penny

On the subject of the pirate thread... Is it just me, or are TWF's tactics super annoying!
They make these posts before anything has even been built or put out, who knows if it even will (ie: they're double beadlocks)
Seems to me a legit company announces a product when they are ready for release, not when it's an idea.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
On the subject of the pirate thread... Is it just me, or are TWF's tactics super annoying!
They make these posts before anything has even been built or put out, who knows if it even will (ie: they're double beadlocks)
Seems to me a legit company announces a product when they are ready for release, not when it's an idea.

I think they are trying to create hype.... and its working they released pricing the other day in that thread their case is 5k

I agree though they are offering no information on why its better or how its better than current transfer case options, they just keep saying its better

rkillpack

Converted Oil Burner
Having just bought an Atlas myself, I had a long conversation with Orren(spl?) from advanced adapters. He told me that they have repaired one Atlas recently that failed at a KOH event. He said it was improperly installed but they wanted to help the driver out so they replaced the case, which he later then broke again.
As to their "competition" upgrades, they were designed to fill an order that was placed for about 4500 cases. The application, a 4x4 school bus used in South America. The customers requirements led Advanced Adapters to rethink some materials they used based on the GVW of the vehicles and the fact they were going to get used HARD.
Those upgrades are now offered as the Competition Series. As Orren put it, who would buy the "School Bus" upgrade?

flexyfool

GDW
I have been following the pirate thread about the trail worthy fabs new transfer case, Although I think it awesome there are companies pushing the envelope for bigger stronger parts is the market really there for a case that costs twice as much as the atlas.....

I just bought a new 3.8 atlas with the HD outputs and the comp grade gear sets so my view is kinda biased.....

What do you all think???

Yeah. There is a small market. If you have $50K+ worth of parts into a rig (and a lot of people do across the country), another $2-3K is no big deal. I bet the Ultra4 and rockbouncers will flock to the new case if it develops a good reputation. An occasional hobbyist crawler or toughtrucker will buy them too. We're talking a couple hundred units then a trickle after that unless the price drops to that of an Atlas. The only way the company is going to make real money is to get commercial or military contracts. Advance Adaptors owns the aftermarket xcase volume business. Hard to beat their brand awareness, network of distributors, and volume manufacturing capability.

Last edited:
R

rockdog

My front output is lose. Don't know if it's the bearing or what. I'm gonna change a bunch of stuff on my truck once I get my son's truck done and out of the garage. I'll check out what's going on with it then. I don't want to be the one guy that can say he has broken an Atlas.:(

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
My front output is lose. Don't know if it's the bearing or what. I'm gonna change a bunch of stuff on my truck once I get my son's truck done and out of the garage. I'll check out what's going on with it then. I don't want to be the one guy that can say he has broken an Atlas.:(

The nut on the output came loose on mine a couple years ago. I blame a pretty out of balance front driveshaft. Tightened it up and good to go! Bearings all looked good.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
its the ultra 4 guys that are breaking the atlas cases I have seen many broken atlas's and the problem is Advanced adapters will not warrenty cases that have been used in racing any more. The Trail worthy fab Hero case has much more beef too it. I spent a hour on the phone with TWF the other day talking about the new case they have 4 of them in KOH rigs for testing and they expect to launch right after is all goes well they just want to test it thoroughly before release

EB101

I scattered my 4.3 but it was totally my fault. I was afraid I'd knock the brass site tube fittings off so I plugged it. Then ran it dry and it scattered at 70 on the freeway. Along with a dana 60 ring and pinion, a drive shaft, a deep aluminum trans pan, and some exhaust. Took out a HD yoke and the cluster gears in the tcase. I told Advance what I did and they hooked me up with everything I needed for a few bills which I thought was fantastic. My point is, they treated me so well that they have a customer for life. On the other hand, for the kind of money and effort people put into a KOH rig, 2 grand more seems cheap to take out their weak link. Also, Carl's is a four speed, it seems like they have a few more issues than the twos.

Last edited:

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I talked with AA at sema last year. told him what my rig was....stock 460 and 54" tires. he said he would not recommen me buying an atlas.

one of my buddies blew up the gears in his atlas recently. his rig is on 46s.

im sure there is a market for a 5k buck t case. ill stick with my 205 tho