Who thought this would work?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
All of the comments about it being a JT swapped onto a 3/4 ton Ram frame are from people besides BlackOps. Also by reading some of the posts on their IG from when they were building it I get the impression it’s just a JT but with a Hemi of sorts, Ram trans, 60/80 and supposedly some 3/4 ton suspension (heavier springs). My truck’s frame does not look like that one nor can I imagine a JT body would fit well on a Ram frame.

All of that being said the people that are commenting on it saying it burned to the ground because it’s not built to tow are just keyboard warriors. In my years of worrying about people towing beyond their vehicle’s capability never has it been about the tow rig lighting on fire. That’s just silly.

But wait, there’s more; if I built rigs for a living and one of them caught fire I’d obviously blame it on factory electronics so take that for what it’s worth 🤣

haulinshine

All of the comments about it being a JT swapped onto a 3/4 ton Ram frame are from people besides BlackOps. Also by reading some of the posts on their IG from when they were building it I get the impression it’s just a JT but with a Hemi of sorts, Ram trans, 60/80 and supposedly some 3/4 ton suspension (heavier springs). My truck’s frame does not look like that one nor can I imagine a JT body would fit well on a Ram frame.

All of that being said the people that are commenting on it saying it burned to the ground because it’s not built to tow are just keyboard warriors. In my years of worrying about people towing beyond their vehicle’s capability never has it been about the tow rig lighting on fire. That’s just silly.

But wait, there’s more; if I built rigs for a living and one of them caught fire I’d obviously blame it on factory electronics so take that for what it’s worth 🤣
it's important to keep a list of people you can blame for things catching on fire.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I recall passing a Chevy car....like a caprice or pontiac 6000 or something...flat towing a certain buggied-out XJ to St. George, then later the buggied-XJ was towing the car the rest of the way lol.

@bryson and @Herzog used to be on my same schedule...I'd leave SLC at like 10pm to tow to Moab to miss the traffic, but during Safari it was always comedy because all of the people that had questionable towing situations would do the same thing. You'd see some pretty outrageous stuff towing other stuff back then.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I recall passing a Chevy car....like a caprice or pontiac 6000 or something...flat towing a certain buggied-out XJ to St. George, then later the buggied-XJ was towing the car the rest of the way lol.

@bryson and @Herzog used to be on my same schedule...I'd leave SLC at like 10pm to tow to Moab to miss the traffic, but during Safari it was always comedy because all of the people that had questionable towing situations would do the same thing. You'd see some pretty outrageous stuff towing other stuff back then.
I remember the tow-car story!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I remember seeing some sketchy towing situations for sure.

My bro bought a Samurai during safari in '02 and drove it home. Unregistered, uninsured and it probably averaged 35-40 mph. It took 8 hours, no lie. That was an adventure!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

I see crazy tow situations so often these days that I've gotten pretty good at putting them out of my mind quickly.

4x4_Welder

Every Thursday in Midland TX there is an auto auction that seems to be just for cars to be brought down to Mexico. I hated having to be on the freeway then, because of the way these things were hauled- They'd take whatever seemed to be the best runner, attach a hitch to the back, pull the front bumper off another, and flat tow it. Typically there would also be a third car hitched on as well, with this whole line barely able to keep in one lane at 50mph.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Every Thursday in Midland TX there is an auto auction that seems to be just for cars to be brought down to Mexico. I hated having to be on the freeway then, because of the way these things were hauled- They'd take whatever seemed to be the best runner, attach a hitch to the back, pull the front bumper off another, and flat tow it. Typically there would also be a third car hitched on as well, with this whole line barely able to keep in one lane at 50mph.
I have seen several caravans consisting of several 80's-90's Toyotas pulling another 80's-90's Toyota on a tow bar over US6. And I bet they're going farther south than Mexico.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I see it all the time, and I keep seeing them further and further North and West. Been seeing them come out of Boise lately. All headed to Mexico or points further south.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I have seen several caravans consisting of several 80's-90's Toyotas pulling another 80's-90's Toyota on a tow bar over US6. And I bet they're going farther south than Mexico.

Central America, very, very common to see Toyota's. There are towns in Nicaragua that are 90% Toyota trucks, many of which US spec models that made their way down.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
I talked to one of those guys at the Maverick in Monticello, Utah about 6 months ago. They were flying into Seattle and driving the vehicles back through Gallup, New Mexico and then into Mexico. I've seen many of them on the road between Moab and Cortez in the past few years.