Who uses tubing notchers?

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I assume mose JD guys have got a JD notcher too?
I am sure there are a few HF notcher guys here also.
I am a freehander.
I drill a pilot hole (cuz the bits the holesaw kits come with SUCK) And get the milwakee holesaws out and run them through. I usually mark with a sharpie and then clamp it into my vice and cut away at a horizontal plain.
I keep snagging and chipping teeth off of the holesaws though and was wondering if the notchers were better for this?? I use hydrolic oil as cutting oil, but it seems if I am cutting at a high angle it seems to still want to snag while first making the cut. I am also in the habit of only cutting half of the hole. I cut a 1/2 inch into the waste above the pilot hole. Does that make a difference?

What is peoples experiences with any or all notchers /holesaws. Before I drop 180 bucks on the good stuff.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
fae467b1.jpg

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Shawn said:
Guess I don't know how to link a pic any more...

the protools notcher is the best notcher I have ever seen in my life. we built the cage for the hero and some misc other things and that thing is amazing!!! blows JD and HF out of the water!!!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
spencurai said:
the protools notcher is the best notcher I have ever seen in my life. we built the cage for the hero and some misc other things and that thing is amazing!!! blows JD and HF out of the water!!!

You can't even compare JD and HF!!!

James K

NO, I'm always like this
The ye ole tube notcher I have rocks.

Use to do the drill press thing.

Man it is amazing how much better things are when you use the right tool for the job. :D

muleskinner

spencurai said:

What does it look like? I'm in the market for a notcher..

Vonski

nothing to see here...
We use the ProTools notcher and dig it. The JD looks to be very similar and either would be worlds better than the HF version. We used an HF one for a short period of time just to see how long it would last. They're better than no notcher at all, but not by much.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I have a HF one, and it seems to work fine for me. Never had any problems chipping teeth off of holesaws... I've used the ProTools one at Rocklogic quite a bit too and agree it is a huge improvement. Come to think of it, I've used holesaws in notchers, hand drills, and drill presses and have never had a problem chipping teeth off them, my only problem with them is when people borrow them and never return them. :mad: Are you using crappy holesaws, maybe? Oh, I've always used real cutting fluid though, maybe try that, it's not that expensive and a bottle will last a long time.

Bones

I've used a JD a few times and was quite impressed. Unfortunatly it's 3 hours away from me so I bought one off ebay for $60 or so. Appears to be a better quality than another friends HF. It works good enough for as many times as I will use it. It's not as nice or as user friendly as the JD, but I can deal with little issues like that.

I free handed the notches on my front bumper before I knew any better and it's embarassing to me at times. :p

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
the HF notcher uses brass bushings on the spindle...I think....maybe not even that so after a cage or so, they wear out and the spindle starts to wander.

We used the Protools on the hero and it has gigantic sealed rollerbearings that made the spindle rock solid with ZERO wander. a cage and a half later and it looks damn near brand new. we only used one holesaw for the entire cage at 7$ from home depot...

I know the protools is about the most expensive coming in at the 300$ range...worth every penny for a flawless 10 second notch!!!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
muleskinner said:
Thanks Mike.....

:D

:rofl: :rofl: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

I was wondering what was up when I read his post, then just about died reading this reply. That's what you get when you allow Von to post after 10pm. :D