Who's done a MB GPW or CJ2A flatty tub on a YJ frame? Good or bad idea?

rondo

rondo
Internet searches are turning up jeep wimps that bench race on JK forums. This may be a horrible idea, but i have the irrational need to change my YJ now that its done. i have an extra WW2 GPW tub, fenders, CJ2A willys hood and windshield frame etc, and a YJ that is trail ready. I wonder how hard it would be to put the two together.
These parts are not worth restoring back to WW2 glory, so let's not go there.
i have a 4cyl crawler that i hate because it has no power. instead of the cost and complexity of an engine swap, maybe i can lighten this thing up and make it better off road, increase the approach angle, sell off some YJ parts (doors, soft top, cage) and not have this cost too much. although i'm really looking at full hydro steering.
it'd have to be stretched to match my wheelbase and have room for my 6 yr old.
thoughts? opinions? know of anyone who's done this?

picture shown is what i have now.

Attachments

• IMGP3254 (800x532).jpg
    IMGP3254 (800x532).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 37

reddman

Fabber
I initially built my '49 CJ3A (practically identical to the 2A outside of the split windshield) up on YJ springs and spring brackets welded to the reinforced original frame. Fairly close to the direction you're considering.

The wheelbase was the obvious challenge (I wanted 104", which is at least two full feet longer than a flatty). Between a long winch mount area in front of the grill and having to build a similar but more ridiculous looking frame extension on the rear, I was in for a sheet metal challenge (I was still just a teen at this point) in stretching the body. The transmission tunnel and engine bay are kids sized to say the least, so that was another issue for me. I had a 350/SM465/Dana 20 that was really too big to fit well in there, especially in the firewall area.

After making it a roller, someone (a scrapper most likely) stole my body tub, and I abandoned the project in favor of a full tube buggy. It's still not done.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Flattie ground-up build by ILean will show you some body stretching ideas! :thumbs: He added a couple of inches over the wheel arch & a few more in the door area! Some really fine body work!:cool:

My guess is that you need to add between 14" to 20" (judging from the comp-cut on the Wrangler body), I would look at adding most of that between the back of the door & the wheel opening, kinda like a CJ-6, & maybe some more over the wheel opening!!:confused:

There are a lot of cool ways you could do it, but this would be the easiest, relitively speaking!!:rolleyes:

sixstringsteve

I think it would be awesome. In my opinion flattys are always a good idea.

x2.

The way us toyota guys get around the gutless 4cyl is with super low t-case gears. It's a completely different style of wheeling, but it's worth looking in to.

Bart

Love the idea and don't think it would be harder than any other build. I love flatties and will build another one day.

rondo

rondo
thx for all the good advice. It has two transfer cases now, so finding low range is not a problem. just wondering if getting it lighter would make it more trail capable. Wife wants a back seat though, which is a problem for a flatty. Been following flatty builds on pirate4x4 but haven't seen anyone that put it on a YJ frame and drivetrain.
i don't want a good looking flatty cause i'll bang the living heckola out of it on rocks.
what about making it tube buggy style and using flatty parts as skins? they are super thin sheet metal anyway.